Avira vs Nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zoli62, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Have you ever thought, how many of those "fanatics" are actually resellers/representatives to certain av-vendors? :rolleyes:

Because of the question above, this just can't be like that! ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Although there is no slowdown, the recent new version of Avira Premium with all modules enabled is taking up nearly 100MB VM here. In contrast the ESS beta is only using 28MB VM.

Therefore, memory usage may be a deciding factor on some older machines.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Quite right, any test one wishes to examine is an isolated snapshot in time, subject to move via an update or a flood of poorly handled malware entering the testbed. That's the way it is in evaluating fluid situations.
    Quick answer to the first question, you don't know if an update could change things.

However, one thing to do, is make sure that you stay within a given test protocol (on-demand or retrospective) for the time series comparisons. In the on-demand rating, the progression for Avira/H+BEDV (taking into account the name change) was Standard to Advanced to Advanced+ over the Feb 2005 to Aug 2005 to Feb 2006 timeframe respectively and maintaining Advanced+ since that time. It was a steady Standard prior to Feb 2005 as well. On the retrospective test, it was standard until Nov 2005, moved to Advanced in May 2006, and made the leap to Advanced+ in Nov 2006. Both tests are consistent with them pulling their resources together throughout 2006 and steadily improving throughout the year. So in this case both tests are consistent with a concerted effort by the vendor to globally improve their performance.

However, your underlying point is right, don't read too much into what could be, in hindsight, a statistical fluctuation dancing around about a somewhat arbitrary boundary. That includes an excursion up or down. A user also has to have a sense of how their screening demands line up against the performance profiles of the various products. It should be clear to even a casual observer that some users will not see detection performance differences between Standard and Advanced+ products while others may be sensitive to finer gradations even within a category (although these might not be persistent performance differences over time).

Blue

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

If you guys ever require an independent review done...:D

As for this av versus that av, the proof is in the pudding, try them out and see for yourself!!

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

trust a scot to mention pudding :D

i do agree though, tried and tested method is the one that always wins, sure people can argue such other points, and test results (aaghhhh) but it always comes down to the personal choice and the way the user feels about the software, do they feel secure using it?

6. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

Please-where does one get a 6 month trial of Avira for Windows XP Pro?
    Thanks.
    Doc

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The six months trial was from a German magazine PC Welt. It is over now. I am not aware of any others. Here is the thread.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170565

PC Welt has had some good offers, such as 6 months trial of F-Secure. I very much appreciate those who become aware of those offers informing us. Thanks.

Sorry.
    Jerry

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Don't be rude to Nod users... :rolleyes:

9. Doc Serenity

No more 6 month free test. OK. Thanks.
    I've been using Avira on my pc to see what all the noise is about.
    I think it's a superior product. But the people that have been knocking NOD32 need to look at the history of both products.
    Nothing is perfect. But NOD32 does have a long history of excellent protection. They have maintained a top spot for quite awhile.
    Also, take a look at the Avira users manual. Over 120 pages pdf file. And not exactly thrilling experience. Every section refers to another section.
    Look at Blackspears instructions for NOD32. That man should rent himself out to other companies and make up their instructions for them.
    I'm not a geek. Can't be one. Not bright enough.
    But I also don't want to spend a long time trying to get a product set up to work properly.
    With NOD32, I can spend less than 10 minutes and I'm done.
    Avira may be just as easy. But it doesn't appear to be easy to me. And that counts for a lot too.
    I'm just about to pack it in with Avira and use NOD32.
    The people that are saying that you should try the products yourself are right. It's the only way to fly.
    Good luck.
    Doc

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

avira is set and forget av.
    you dont even need to read the manual since the interface is so easy to use.
    lodore

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I agree with Lodore. I did not read single page. I don't read manuals!o_O :D

After what seemed to be a couple of conflicts, which were corrected, Avira is the fastest to load, resulting in my system being ready, of any AV I have tried. The updates have not caused any problems, and have been reliable in frequency.

Overall I cannot find a single fault with the Premium. I have found both it, NOD, and Avast "Set and forget" applications. Avira has been the lightest and fastest, and Avast the slowest. I don't know what the "load" is in numbers, I just know how it performs on my system.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. Doc Serenity

I wonder if the 'set and forget' protection from Avira for XP is their "best" or strongest protection.
    Is it the same setting used by testers at AV Comparatives?
    Of course, I'm one of those people who believe that all av software should be just about at maximum right out of the box. Then let people loosen it up as their own needs dictate.
    Doc

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yeah, it would be interesting to know about the AntiVir settings used by the av-comp guys.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

choose Nod if you want, but the bottom line is, Avira has turned out a better product and suite now then Eset. As time goes on, this will become more and more apparent. But choose as you want, its your money and computer.

15. Doc Serenity

I was hoping for a reply about how Avira is set up for maximum protection. Is it at maximum out of the box or does it need fine tuning?
    Doeas anybody know how it's set up by AV Comparatives?
    Doc

16. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I believe IBK says he puts programs at max settings for his tests.

Look for a thread on Antivir user settings and you can get some help on this.

Gary

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If the products are not put at max settings while testing, the test becomes pointless (for that product). So yes, IBK uses max settings for testing. :)

18. Doc Serenity

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I spent some time floating around the Avira forums as well as at Avira's web site.
    The fact that Avira may be almost as good as GData AVk and both may be better than NOD32 seems to me to be a bit pointless if I can't find what I need at their sites.
    AVK doesn't have a trial of their product available in English. Some much for trying out their stuff before I buy it.
    Avira is available in English and is indeed very good.
    But have you looked at their forums or their corporate site.
    Finding what I need in English is a challenge that I don't need.
    I'll take my chances with NOD32. At least I can get help in a timely fashion and usually I'm able to follow along with the directions.
    Maybe in the future AVK and Avira will realize that they are getting more customers in other countries and do something about the language problem.
    Thanks.
    Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.