Avira releases beta 4 with new GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep, maybe I should have titled this thread, "Kaspersky Version 6 appearing at Cebit 2008. Only in red and white though.":cautious:

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hmm i dont mind the gui.. doesnt seem that bad to me.. all vendors will be making them more "appealing" gui wise or at least trying ... it seems to just be the current trend

3. s4u

s4u Registered Member

haha
    Who knows

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it was a joke s4u, Avira did a great job and my hat is off to them.:thumb:

5. s4u

s4u Registered Member

haha
    I know trjam
    They will always be plain and simple Avira

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Tried it yesterday, and I still get that 2-3 second delay in activating modules when I launch the GUI from the taskbar, also it took a couple of miuntes for vista security center to recognize it was actually updated, other than that, its looking good :)

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, you are right on that one.:cautious:

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, do you call this a new GUI? And I still see they don´t know what basic UI design is, you must never force users to scroll horizontally! See pic #2 (expert mode) to see what I mean. I guess I will have to contact them about this. Yes it´s a small thing, but highly annoying to me. Other than this, I still think it sucks that they don´t include ad/spyware signatures in the free version. Must I pay 20 euro a year for this? :rolleyes:

9. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

The financing department says yes :p

10. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i will use kis untile avira beta finish and ready

11. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

I think it's a pretty good beta.

I haven't had any major issues so far - only thing I noticed is a bit of GUI slowness and slowness with it loading those "checkmarks." I haven't tried the backup or the mailguard though - maybe I will later.

Memory use seems almost exactly the same as V7, which is good. I'd hate to ever see Avira start creepin' up in resource use. :)

As for changes, for some reason, it seems the web guard is quite a bit faster than in v7 (which really wasn't too bad either). Did Avira improve the webguard in this way or am I imagining this all? :argh:

About the GUI, it turned out somewhat better than I thought it would. It's hard to tell if I prefer it though, since the V7 GUI is really, really nice too. The only thing I didn't like about v7 was in the suite would be 2 rows of "tabs" at the top of the control center if all components were installed.

Overall, I guess I'm pretty impressed. I do wonder, though, will detection be refined/improved in v8? :shifty:

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Those are too tiny to see anything. Why didn't you use the upload HERE to this site? Besides, when off site images are used I can't see them because I have Fx set to not show off site images for security reasons. I had to open IE to see them and then they are way too small.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't like that either. The problem in 8 is that the GUI wastes a great deal of space on the right side. There would be no scroll bar if they would use the space properly. It looks awful too in 8 as leaving all that extra space on the right makes everything cramped looking. You don't get that feeling in ver 7.

Skins have been asked for in the beta forum so hopefully those of us who like ver 7 GUI better will be able to continue using it.

14. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Hmm, didn't know about that. It would be awesome if we could still use the v7 GUI if we want. :D

15. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well as the engine is completly reworked it will have a better detection when it is released then the version 7.
    this should already be the case in this beta. there are only a few differences, cause the beta engine is a bit older then the v7 engine.

16. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Looks good and with even more umbrellas! :p

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

LOL ppl are moaning already at the GUI?

Avira never had one of the great-GUI's anyway.

I think the new GUI is a step in the right direction.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The GUI is not something to take lightly. I really dislike the new GUI. A main reason I got Avira was because of the GUI. If we don't get skins so I can use the old GUI...I will be looking for an AV with a GUI I like. I don't really need an AV other than on demand scanner so I won't stay around and be miserable with this awful new GUI much as I like Avira and the folks who develop it.

I just got my first notice today that my Personal Premium expires in 28 days...so I have 28 days to decide.

The one thing I really DO LIKE about the new GUI is the beautiful umbrellas. Those are great!

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Mele, you have beat this into the ground, with all due respect. Not only here but their beta forum. It all boils down to, if you dont like it, dont renew. Some will, some wont. But to continually berate Avira over their GUI, isnt really fair to them.

I like it.;)

20. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Sometimes I wonder what you're looking for when buying/trying AV software.
    All you can do is moan about a Gui? Come off it, what about the things it's made for? Avira is really good.......and never mind the Gui! You're happy with the umbrella's........well.......hope for you they'll catch the nasty stuff as well, besides the odd drop of rain.....

21. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I decided to give the beta 4 a try. When I went to my local TV news station's web page, Avira started squawking. Pop up after pop up warning me about HTML scripts. I can't remember that happening before with Avira, and definitely not with any other AV or suite I've used. I have everything set to default in Avira SS. I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I'm very close. How can I get Avira to calm down? Even though I know that web page is a safe place, I really don't want to put it in an exception list.

EDIT.....I uninstalled/reinstalled beta 4, and now everything is ok at that web page.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  22. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

plaese upload all false positives to avira via bugreport.
    remeber this is a beta engine, which needs to be improved. and the more false positives are uploaded to avira the better it gets ;)

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Three days testing it.

Not a single issue (so far). It just interact perfectly with every software i have installed.

Just a lack of minor descriptions (translations) of certain settings within configuration window.

I like the GUI. Plain and simple.

These guys know what they're doing.

24. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I installed Avira beta 4 but my problem is Sandboxie doesn't work now. Avira beta 4 seems to prevent Sandboxie from executing. Anyone else having this problem or have a solution? This is a show-stopper if I can't find a remedy.

Later...

25. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Mele
    If you don't like it why not try the new Kaspersky v8?? ;) ;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.