Avira Product Update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Agreed. Still my favorite AV and Suite, if I used one. Would not even consider anything but Avira. They will make some needed changes and strides in the next year.:thumb:

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But with 9 snapshots with FD-ISR the following would take an forever to scan.;)

Attached Files:

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Lol.. My main computer has around 800 Gig's in it a lot of Back up HD Images, pic's and ISO files along with archive's. it don't take that long for it to scan my drive. set up a smaller windows partition so you aint scanning 300gigs every time. just a suggestion.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

yeah I noticed too a small delay on displaying the license info but just on my vista system. No delay at all on XP Pro.

5. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I get the green check mark and blank information on my XP box. Red check mark and renew on my Vista laptop. I have to click the x and wait a few seconds before it pops up the correct information. I can live with it if that's the only problems.

6. Macstorm

Fix is on the way, don't worry.
    Btw, i noticed a better response of the GUI in this regard after perform a clean install with the latest full avira installer (i would suggest to avoid the 'upgrade' over previous version, at least for the latest huge update).

7. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

Avira is a nice anti virus, light on system resources, but the free version ads is annoying. the premium version is quite good. it has support for emails and web guard, heuristic is adjustable.

But as for my experience it has some false positive sometimes. ive been using Avira Professional 8 in the office. sometimes it has false positive. and it cannot clean my pc when i was recently infected by ie antivirus. i need to clean it with Superantispyware. But AVG 8.0 professional seems to easily clean and remove the infections of ie antivirus. Im using AVg 8.0 at home

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

You can remove the ads by preventing avnotify.exe from running. ;)
    And yeah, Avira has often problems with removal.

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

There is a slight delay (about 3 seconds) in my XP Pro system as well. Not of importance to me. The detection is important and nothing beats it- period.

10. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Last update about 5 days or so ago Improved its removal and Scan speed. but then again if your running real time protection its hard to get infected in the first place (Hard but not Impossible)

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Never had any malware with Avira, so I have no idea if removal is problematic. When you have the world's best detection, it may not be an issue.

12. risl

risl Registered Member

Don't know about Avira removal/detections since I've never used it. But sounds a bit over confident, like it would be an explanation for not improving/developing removal methods(if there is need to improve.)

13. Bunkhouse Buck

If you don't know about it- don't speculate/hypothesize about removal. Avira has received good grades for removal, and the detection is second to none. Firms that do not offer as good detection- need to spend a lot of time on removal. Their customers likely will come to need it.

14. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Please re read the thread. its stated improved removal. they are working on it and developing it but quite frankly I would like to never get infected in the first place then worry for Hours how to try to get it removed..... Image software ftw. if its ever needed. :D

15. Bunkhouse Buck

Many here focus on the wrong way to do things and spend hours attempting to rectify the damage. If you make an image (I use Acronis 10 which is a stable build) and you get infected, it is easy to restore to the pre-infected state. I have never had a virus in 28 years of using PCs, but if I do, I'll just restore.

16. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

same software as you. :D and agreed 20 min and vala computer back to normal! :argh: never knew they had virus back on those old 8088's if you know where I'm coming from.

17. risl

risl Registered Member

Then again, there are people who will never need to remove anything and don't use security applications at all. It's great that avira improves removal, that atleast seems to have received some critique here.

Didn't want to speculate or hypothesize anything on purpose, just wanted to point out that statements like "When you have the world's best detection, it may not be an issue." might sound a bit arrogant ;)

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Still I rather be a little arrogant. I want my AV to stop it at the door then let it on In.. and if my arrogance fails me there is a 10 min restore option then back to arrogant again! :argh:

19. risl

risl Registered Member

Ofc everyone wants that :D

But it's the product that fails, not the attitude.

20. Macstorm

A clean install may be the key. See post #31.

21. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Yes but I rather stay with a product that is proved to fail less then any other. and if something manages to get thur.. like I said 10 min restore and Vala no more virus no worry's.

22. Bunkhouse Buck

Thanks but I already did that.

23. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I also have the Lic delay.. but meh its not even really a problem I know when it expires as long as it updates who cares. :argh:

24. Bunkhouse Buck

I don't think it is a "problem" either, but I was responding to an earlier post about the delay not occurring in XP- and my finding is that it does.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

aye Sorry. quoted the wrong post :D

move on nothing to see here :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.