Avira Premium Suite - Settings?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I recall that on a recent AVC test Avira requested to be tested with heuristics set at high instead of the default level of medium.
    I am currently trialing the suite, and would like to know if anyone here has experienced problems with the high settings?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I would imagine that Avira wanted to see if the high setting would generate more FP's as well as detect more legitimate threats and I would expect that to be the case, or were you thinking of other issues like browsing speed, slower downloads, interference with other software etc?

3. icr

icr Registered Member

I had no problems with avira when I tested the BETA version I even tried the stable version and didn't find any problems with settings on HIGH heuristics:)

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Hammer,
    I was thinking about FP. My daughter is using the Premium and has not experienced FPs.
    Regards,
    Jerry

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, and that seems to be the case. I am not sure why the default is not high since I have not read of FPs at that setting.
    While many FP would be a problem for me I do like the better protection.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I don't know technically what is the difference between default (medium) and High sensitivity heuristics in AVIRA but I think the difference is that with High AntiVir will detect more packers and will look for more suspicious things in the code . The difference between the two modes shouldn't be dramatic , though .

As for tests in AV-Comparatives ... the testing organisation and AVIRA are from the same country and it is to be expected that AVC is very popular in Austria and the region.That is why AVIRA doesn't care too much about some or more false positives , it just wants to excel and the people in Austria who have high trust in AVC will more likely buy the product .Just like in Slovakia where the majority uses NOD32 , the same in Austria for AVIRA - local product , easy to access , perfect high score ...

7. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Avira is located in Germany. Austria != Germany. Making statements like that in a bar in Austria could make you very unpopular :-*

8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Hello!
    I know Austria is not Germany but I thought that AVIRA was from Austria. I was wrong . However , one of their offices is in Austria

Avira Handels- und Vertriebs GmbH & Co KG
    Vienna Twin Tower | Wienerbergstraße 11/12a | 1100 Wien | Austria
    Fax: +43 1 99460 5000 | Email: info@avira.at

Please note that those email addresses, telephone and fax numbers are not suitable to make technical inquiries. Please contact our technical support if you have technical inquiries.

9. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Maybe you were thinking of a-squared (Emsisoft). They and Ikarus are in Austria.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.