Avira No firewall?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Feb 10, 2016.

1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I was surprised to learn that Avira no longer has a firewall. However it shows up well in the AVC tests. Was it wise to discontinue their own firewall and depend on Windows Firewall?
    In the past the W firewall seemed to have a good reputation.

Thanks, Jerry

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. guest

guest Guest

Only Avira Pro has a firewall, windows firewall 8/10 is as good as any other firewall as far as I know all the firewalls in AV's use windows firewall as a base.
    AVC test are about malware so if does't matter if the product has a firewall or not.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

5. anon

anon Registered Member

The article (KBID 1390) says: "Last updated: Thursday, March 7, 2013"
    and refers to Avira Professional Security, a product which not exist anymore.
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.avira.com/en/avira-antivirus-pro
    Avira Antivirus Pro
    Feature Set -> Online Protection:
    -----------------------------
    http://img.creativemark.co.uk/uploads/images/539/16539/img3File.png

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, anom, I am in the slow group, and did not see the date. :(
    Jerry

7. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Very nice, is it the end of software firewall in antivirus? :doubt:

8. m0unds

m0unds Registered Member

no. plenty of products still provide a firewall frontend that interfaces w/WFP on newer versions of windows.

9. haakon

haakon Guest

Know: not Bitdefender 2016 and all their previous IS suites.

10. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Bitdefender's firewall also works on windows filtering platform using base filtering service, just like windows firewall. (up and above Win 7)

Code:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/support/Cannot-activate-Bitdefender-Firewall-1536.html

11. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

There is a nice free firewall control from Sphinx-Soft that also uses the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP). Check out Windows 10 Firewall Control (for Vista, 7, 8, 10).
    http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

The decision to use the built-in filtering platform is sound because you don't need any 3rd party kernel drivers installed to make it work. This potentially reduces the risk of security flaws in 3rd party firewall software development. Plus it is light and adds no performance hit because Windows 10 Firewall Control is just a user friendly front-end to WFP. The base firewall GUI in Windows is cumbersome and makes a 3rd party GUI desirable.

I use Windows 10 Firewall Control and Avira recognizes that the Windows firewall is active, (but launches the Windows GUI under it's settings). So I use the Windows 10 Firewall Control GUI for easy setting of [incoming only/outgoing only/enable all] permissions on an application basis. The free version allows all Windows services by default, but I have no issues with that. It has an event log and a connections page that shows the status of all current network connections. It alerts on any new connection attempts until you "train" it, then it quiets down until you install something new.

They have paid (one-time) versions that allow more detailed control.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.