avira free isn't updating

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nikonmama, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moshaboy

moshaboy Registered Member

Re: avira free isn't updating..[Tis now!!!]

I have been waiting for 3 days for the Avira free to auto-update and have tried to manually update to no effect..i uninstalled the free anti-virus programa dn then re-installed another free avira file d/l from cnet incase the ''version'' had been replaced [this happened to me with the free AVG before the free! yes free trial ran out..which it does do eventually!!]....but the newly installed Avira free wouldn't update either....so

i manually updated and kept an eye on my 'firewall' inbound/outbound data to see if the server in Germany was awake??..it was altho it seemed to switch to a proxy server..

***IMPORTANT BIT!!!***..after 25 mins of watching for the Avira 'box' to signal a file d/l..it did eventually d/l 11 files in total [this includes previous days files i suspect?] ..so thing to do to all of you waiting for auto updates is to manually update but WAIT & watch as the updates should arrive as mine did....very slowwwwlllllly!!! [eventually] and i have 6-8meg speed BB [and i live in the U.k and not a squillion muiles away from germany..]

however we must all realise that Avira free is erm...''free'' .... this is the 1st time i have encountered a problem as i have found Avira works great with 'online armour' free firewall..Tis sooooo much better than AVG or .dare i say ''Norton''!!? and defo more light on computer resources than is B****y McAfee!!?..

keep on keepin on!!...be good!!...from me :eek:

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

3. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Free versions are the real deal just features are disabled in the code. Just like the old shareware days. I always develop full version first then disable features for shareware. Today you get a free version with nags screens I made them in the shareware version. But in any case developers like myself want you to buy the full program. They really don't make money with the free stuff. If you upgrade then they will and give you better support.

4. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

No, special deal for three computers. At least I have an extra year off for both of my machines. A competitor only charges 40 bucks for a two license deal.

5. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

You are welcome. :)

Let us know if it works for you too.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The update issue happens periodically, or has thru the years. I just put Avira Free on a brand new XP install today, waited 5 minutes while it didn't even connect for an update, then gave up. I installed my Premium instead, and all went fine. What that all means, I have no idea, except that it's not really anything new with Avira.

7. tipstir

Wireless laptops that run the AVIRA PE when they are turned on the update runs.

8. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Free Version has been normal.But its updater downloaded the definition slowly.It cost 2 hours to update yesterday.

9. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

Free version uses different servers, obviously not quite as good as the paid versions

10. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

Updates are taking ages to complete, but i've got mine set to update every 2 hours so in the end it's still up to date most of the time.

11. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I used Avira Premium for a year and I'm not bashing Avira here, but this is, by any standards, a ridiculously long time in the days where many of us have fast braodband connections. I was looking to try a new AV in this last week, tried Avira free, had this ridiculously long wait myself, and now I'm left thinking, 'Never again am I using that', which can't be a good thing for Avira. All it actually does is make me angry that the free version's updates are so poor, forcing me to buy the Premium version if I want faster updates. It's a great product, for sure, but I feel that I'm being bullied into buying the Premium version. It doesn't leave a nice taste in the mouth, so to speak. I'm now trying Avast free which amazingly manages to update all by itself at normal speeds :) . Avast will have to have some pretty major flaws for me to even consider Avira now.

12. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

mrfargoreed:

Does the relative infrequency of Avast! updates put you off?

As i remember Avast seldom updated more than once in twenty four hours.
    With Avira I could set as many updates as I wanted,and normally they seem to have around five per day now.
    Down a little from the six or seven in version eight.
    That is of course when you do not hit a rough patch like this,where you seem unable to update at all.
    A look at the Forum at Avira should make one thing clear.
    they view the update problem,(like the nag Screen) as part of the "price"
    for the free version,And do not intend to implement a meaningful fix.
    It is fine with me,as I only use it on demand within Returnil,and never download it to my real disk. If the update sticks,Que Será Será,on to the next
    on-demand.

13. mrfargoreed

Hey SammyJack!

No, the update frequency with Avast doesn't really bother me. As much as it's nice to have a product that continually updates, I so rarely (if at all, come to think of it) get any infections since using SandboxIE that it doesn't make much difference to me.

And with the latest trial with Avira free, I don't think there's enough time in the day to download six or seven updates with the speed it takes :D .

I understand that they don't intend to fix the update problem and it's just part of the free version - I've got no problems with that, but I just haven't got the pateince to wait two hours for a simple update. I often turn my laptop off after an hour or so, so at this rate Avira would never get an update downloaded in time :rolleyes: .

14. mrfargoreed

Typical! I've just installed Avira free twice to test and both times it's updated quickly, after weeks of not updating at all. Oh well, now it's installed I might as well keep it for a bit.......;)

15. tipstir

Servers on the internet vary at times but euro and usa connections seem to be different for everyone who gets the updates and some who do not. I never had issues but seems a lot of you do. Oh well. Free or paid it's up too you to decide what to use. Either way I am sure you'll be happy in the end.

16. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I have Avira Free, with splash & nag disabled, set in the scheduler to update daily at 2 hour intervals (!) i.e it updates every 2 hours each day and according to the events log it's updating perfectly OK when the computer is on.

17. mrfargoreed

That's odd - the version I'm using (9.0.0.407) won't let me set updates every two hours - says I can only set them at a minimum of 1 day :( .

18. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Hi, mrfargoreed:

Open the GUI,click administration,then scheduler.
    right click below the last scheduled entry,and choose "insert new job".
    Name the job in the dialog box,(normally just the time of the update),
    click next,choose update from the drop down menu,hit next,choose "daily"
    from the drop down menu,hit next,choose update time,press next,choose if you want minimized,
    invisible or maximized.
    Repeat for each update you want to add.

19. tipstir

Yes nag is disabled too, but I never bother with the scheduler I leave it set to defaults and it updates every time I turn on either a laptop or desktop.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Avira claims to have more than 1 million free accounts, if that's true it is an awful lot to feed new updates. I must admit I bought the premium more as a contribution to research but also knowing that I was going to get a faster update service.

For those who might be interested, for the next 8 days they are offering the premium version valid for 22 months for the price of 12 (basically you are getting a 2 year subscription).

21. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Don't you think we should stop blaming it on the difference between "free servers" and "premium servers"? :rolleyes:

22. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  23. mrfargoreed

Thanks SammyJack - sorry, I didn't realise you were repeating the job. I thought you were able to actually set it under one day and that I couldn't. I see what you are doing now :thumb: .

I thought that this is the reason why Avira free updates slower than Premium. The official website says one of the advantages of the Premium version is: 'Fast Premium update server'. I'm just basing my view on the facts. But hey, it appears to be updating normally now so everything is okay at the moment and everyone's happy :) .

24. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Nope, I just dont hang around these forums all day long like you do :D

25. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Whatever gets you through the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.