Avira Antivir Premium on Trial

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Escalader, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I am testing Avira Antivir Premium on a 30 day trial.

Today when I sent an email with outgoing / Incoming heuristic scanner ON the product stalled the send via MS Outlook and eventually crapped out with a memory error message. Now I tried a few options like going to text only and turned the heuristic OFF. This allowed the send to proceed.

Has anybody here tested the full set of Heuristic options or run into current bugs in this product?

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Hi,

Since I'm using the Premium version with its default settings, I have tried to recreate your issue by enabling email outgoing scan and even raising the heuristic level to high detection. I've had no problems sending mails, even with attachments included.

Tested on Vista Home Premium SP2 & MS Outlook 2007.

3. Sunrazor

Sunrazor Registered Member

I am also an Avira Premium user and I have no trouble even whith all cranked upp to max (including heuristic). All works fine here.

4. ceejay13

ceejay13 Registered Member

As an FYI.

I loaded Avira Antivirus Premium on Friday and things were going fine until this morning after 3(?) files were updated. I now get a program crash with Windows error reporting showing that avmailc.exe has had to close. I also am then unable to see my IMAP server.

If I shut down mailguard, the problem seems to go away.

I will try to look further.

5. Escalader

Thanks for the input guys it is all good stuff from my point of view.

I'm on windows xp sp3 with MS Outlook 2003 AND my isp uses port 587 for outgoing smtp. This port is NOT the ISO or Europe standard port so maybe this is an issue for Avira. :doubt:

I can report that the incoming mail scan goes normally but if I turn on the mail scanner for outgoing I get the looooonnnng pause in outlook and then if I wait long enough the error message.

Not sure whats happening here but it really shouldn't be this hard.

6. ceejay13

Seem to be getting the same symptoms here. I am using Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 and all is OK until I try to read an email from an IMAP folder. Turn off MailGuard and all is OK again.

Kind of short of time and so I have gone back to before I installed Avira and building from there. I am installing Comodo first and then will try Avira without the update and then with the updates. The problem is predictable and repeatable.

7. ceejay13

OK, I have now completed a re-install of the Firewall and then Avira and all appears to be OK again.

I did check the Comodo logs during my checking of the causes of the error and there were no records of the firewall blocking anything - applications or internet accesses (I connect to the internet through a router).

8. Escalader

I'm okay on the mailscan on incoming mail for Avira AV Premium.

But as soon as I turn on the outgoing with the 2 heuristics settings on it only works on plain text and with no attachments.

Please try it on your set up and see if you get the same type issue

9. ceejay13

Sorry Escalader, I was out all day yesterday and have come back to my mail server having gone kaput - now my main priority as I have nearly 1000 emails in the queue (of which probably less than 20 I actually want/need to read!!).

The re-install got rid of all my problems and so I cannot realistically repeat the test for you on my set-up.

10. Escalader

No sweat! The question remains in place at Avira support and I await their response. Got about 20 days left in the trial.

11. Escalader

Today, the scanner tagged the firefox installer as a trojan. Yet it took no action. So I scanned the file on it's own got the same result and this time was offered some choices. So I quarantined it then tried to submit it to Avira labs all I got for my trouble was an error message. So I deleted the file since I didn't need it anyway.

Things aren't going well,

1) Mail scan fails on outgoing attachments submitted report, no response
    2) The FF trojan installer, tried to submit it failed to send.

Like baseball, 3 strikes and you are out.

Glad I'm on a trial.

Well I have reverted to Eset. The recent update delays although solved are not good as an AV relies on rapid updates for effectriveness. The bad guys don't delay so we need 1/hour updates minimum

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.