Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium for 6 months

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yanzilme, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I guess you don't have TreewalkDNS. Avira just detected it as a trojan. :( I haven't used Treewalk in several years but I still have the program in my downloaded programs folder. I knew it had to be an FP since I've had the file for almost THREE YEARS and no AV has alerted on it before. I submitted it to Jotti and Virus Total. Only a couple detect it. Kaspersky was detecting it in the end of Nov 2007 and corrected the FP a few days later.

This is the problem I have. Avira keeps detecting programs I've had for years and this was a signature detection also not heuristic. I must say though that Avira got the problem with the online submission of FP's fixed after the incident where Avira online suspected files submission had confirmed falsely that a uninstall tool for Kaspersky was a trojan and I posted about in in the Avira forum. This time I did not get an immediatel report stating that yes, Avira detects this file as a trojan. This time, I was told that the file was under analysis (since I had submitted it as a possible FP but I did that with the Kaspersky one too) and that I would get an email report when the analysis was finished. I just got the report:

3616132 TreeWalk.exe 1.35 MB FALSE POSITIVE

Please find a detailed report concerning each individual sample below:
    Filename Result
    TreeWalk.exe FALSE POSITIVE

The file 'TreeWalk.exe' has been determined to be 'FALSE POSITIVE'. In particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm. Detection will be removed from our virus definition file (VDF) with one of the next updates.

So, I am happy that the online submission of FP's is working correctly now, but I wish I wouldn't keep getting these signature FP's.

2. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Greetings,

I installed Antivir PE Premium early this morning and everything appeared fine initially whilst using my laptop. However, when I later I had completed a full scan my computer ground to a halt, immediately after the scan was completed. It took Antivir about ten seconds to bring up the report, and then it took even longer to close the interface. Every further interaction with my pc was sluggish, to say the least, and when I tried to reopen the Antivir interface to adjust settings as a possible remedy, the interface remained frozen. I had to terminate Antivir in order to restart the pc, but therafter everything was back to normal.

Is this a known issue for some users after scanning?

By the way, thanks to yanzilme for pointing to this offer.

Best wishes,

jm0307

3. BBKing212

BBKing212 Registered Member

I have installed avira Personal Edition Premium few days ago. First i have run full system scan. Nothing was found. System is running fine and smoothly. It is responsive too. Before i had Nod32 for 2 years.

4. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Sounds good. Made those 2 changes as we speak and looks like im good to go. Thanks buddy. :cool:

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What AV did you use before? I suspect you may have a conflict with some remnants of a prior AV still running. What you reported is not normal but could easily be due to a conflict with another AV that was not fully uninstalled. Also, do you use any other antispyware or security applications? Which ones? Any that run in real time?

I think you should post this in the Avira forums where the Avira techs and Mods can better help you.
    http://forum.avira.com/board.php?boardid=18

6. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

As Avira Mailguard does not scan SSL mail, there seems little point in installing this element of the program, so I haven't. (I use Gmail's SSL POP & SMTP servers via Thunderbird, exclusively). HTTP traffic is not scanned by design - so all I'm left with is the Guard element and the on demand scan. OK for a free six month trial I think, but is it worth paying for, at the end of the period?
    Is this a fair summation?

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yea I have the same problem as I use Gmail. Is there a way to uninstall the mail guard after you have installed it?

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been a KAV/KIS user for several years and it has always kept me out of trouble but it has also been a bit slow even on my new laptop.

I took advantage of the free 6 month AntiVir PE Premium license and am surprised how light it is. I have it installed with Comodo 3 so the only thing I think I am missing from KIS is a web scanner. I probably would prefer a web scanner but not at the expense of system responsiveness.

AntiVir certainly looks good in the test results but I have had virus issues with AV's that tested well before. So, I am interested to see how AntiVir PE Premium holds up in real word usage. All experiences, good or bad, are welcome.

Thanks

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think you might like the Suite better. I don't use the mail module because I use Outlook Express and because my ISP scans all incoming and outgoing mail. I feel Avira Premium is worth it just for Guard. But if you want all the bells and whistles they are in the Suite. You will get a firewall and webscanner and soon Parental Control and other goodies all of which are going to be added only to the Suite.

11. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

Thanks for that link,

I've been using avira for a while now and didn't even know I could remove the mail scanner I don't need it because my email provider scans for viruses, I use thunderbird, and the guard will pick it up if there's a virus,

and I assume it will run a little lighter now probably not much since avira antivir PE Premium runs light to begin with though, ;)

well thanks for the link Macstorm :thumb: and thanks for posting it in the first place Mele20 :thumb:

12. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Hello Mele20,

I have no idea what happened, but I am quite certain that it was neither an uninstall problem, nor a conflict. The problem has not reappeared since having rebooted, not even after two subsequent full scans - so all is well. I like Avira - runs as light as my previous AV. Also, I have no update problems with the Premium version, as opposed to Personal, which had tried last year for a week with constant update problems.

Thanks for your help.

jm0307

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have yet to find anything better, and trust me, I have looked.:D

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

by the way thanks for the link Its all good so Far

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I've been using AVG pro on 3 computers and like it very much.
    Reading all these positive reviews on Avira by everyone and those especially by Mele20, they should pay you a commission, I decided to give it a try on my main computer.
    I did try the suite several months ago but didn't really care for it mainly because of the firewall but then again did not give it a fair chance either.
    I have to say I'm quite impressed.
    I can't explain this but even though Avira uses a little more memory then AVG, I have more memory available then I did before.
    My commit charge is lower now and there doesn't appear to be any strain on the system.
    I run Seti and Einstein so my computers run at 100% cpu at all times.
    The HD justs seems to run at a nice hum now. No ups and downs as it previously did. A nice sweet hum.
    I'm not that technical but these are the impressive results I'm seeing right now.
    Avira Premium itself is running very smoothly. Updating every 2 hrs.
    I did not install e-mail checker, no need for that.
    I did a full scan and came up clean, except for which I'm sure is a false positive. Sent it off to Avira and involves JV 16 power tools.
    However Macecraft suggests it be put into an exclusion list for most av's.
    Not a big deal.
    As I said earlier, I have never seen such a difference in the general operation of my computer which is a Dell Dimension E520, Pentium dual core,2.8 GHz with 1 GB of memory. XP media, SP2 with all media components disabled so I just like to say XP.
    If this is all due to Avira's programming, and keeps up, well, it looks like Avira may have a new customer in the near future! :D :thumb:

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm glad to hear that things are fine now...even after two more scans. :)

I guess that has to put down to gremlins or just plain occasional Windows weirdness. :p

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm glad you like it and that you decided to try it again. t'would be nice if I got a commission ;) but I'm just happy if someone who might not have tried it otherwise tries it because of something I have said. It won't be the right AV for everyone but it will be for many and some of those might not have tried it if they didn't see positive comments from those of us who really like it.

I hope it continues to work well for you.

18. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Got another question. Since 2 other people use my pc. Can you tell me the easiest way to set this program up with a auto quarantine deal or something? Because if it happens to find something. They are not very techy. I would like the program to take care of everything automatically. They would not know what to choose if a prompt came up.

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Then I suggest you make sure the "copy to quarantine" box is UNchecked. Then choose "Move to Quarantine" in the drop down box. If instead you want to choose something else like "repair" make sure you have the "copy to quarantine" box checked. But "Move to Quarantine" would be best I think as then later you can decide what to do with that file which might be False Positve. Avira strongly suggests that you leave it on Interactive so if you could teach them what to do that would be good...but that may not work and then it needs to be on automatic.

Attached Files:

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Of course there have been a few times when Mele may have owed a refund.:) ;)

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

:D :p

22. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I have been giving Antivir a go around and like it a lot. I think I might even buy it after the 6 month trial ends.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's my favorite now also, after about 3-4 months of use. I am definitely going to buy it after the current 6 month trial ends... no doubt about it.

24. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I also like the fact that it updates and works OK in a Limited User Account.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is a good piece of software, not perfect, but made by some good people. There are alot like that here though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.