Avira Antivir PE Premium and Anti-spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kielty, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I use Antivir PE Premium and was wondering how good is the anti spyware component? is there a need to run anything else in real time with this piece of software?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

check the PUPS test in AV-Comparatives

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IMHO, if you use a non-IE browser then running AntiVir Premium by itself in real-time should be sufficient. Running a HOSTS file may also help.

Recent results over at av-comparatives and av-test.org indicate that AntiVir has an excellent detection of spyware.

IME, most AS programs in real-time are memory/resource hungry and rarely catch any type of malware. Just use a free on-demand AS scanner as an occasional background check.

I run the Premium version by itself on one of my systems, together with K-Ninja, and I have only ever found a few cookies.

4. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Thanks, thats put my mind at rest. Most of the real time anti-spyware i have tested are very resource hungry and i wasn't keen to run one in addition to Avira.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For the average user antivir's adware/spyware detection is sufficient enough. Do an on demand antispyware scan from time to time and you'll be right. I recommend superantispyware free or a-squared free.

On my other computer all i use is antivir premium + ghost security suite. I back that up with a-squared free and mcafee standalone virus scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.