Avira AntiVir a virus itself ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Doctor Watson, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Obviously you haven't been reading this forum for very long and you have somehow missed the famous dslreports Security forum thread on Kaspersky and chkdsk problems also. I suggest you do some reading before asking silly questions. (Avira has strong business ethics unlike Kaspersky but if they had behaved as Kaspersky has regarding the chkdsk problem, I would have been all over them too).

You just might also read the ORIGINAL
    LONG THREAD going over one year in the Kaspersky forum.

Here is just ONE of many threads at Wilders about this sad situation:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186074&highlight=kaspersky chkdsk

Here's the famous dslreports thread that forced Kaspersky to beg Microsoft to help them. Microsoft slapped them down for what they did and Kaspersky has STILL NOT fixed the problem (it's fixed in ver 8 but that does nothing for users and FORMER users of ver. 6 and 7 who have damage to chkdsk due to Kaspersky's object identifiers). There are over 500 posts in this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18608452-Kaspersky-You-lost-me-at-ISwift

Here's the original thread first reporting chkdsk problems caused by Kaspersky's object identifiers. It is 28 pages long:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=14995&hl=chkdsk

Better set aside an entire day to read.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The Kaspersky ordeal and the past issues with DCS is not the topic of discussion in this thread. In fact it becomes very much a distraction each and every time it is wrongly posted in an un-related thread. Let's save the off topic direction those subjects are taking this and other threads for more appropriate times Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Avira a Virus :blink: "What a load of Bollocks" :shifty: Never heard such ridiculousness in my entirity :rolleyes:

4. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Thank you for the intervention. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  5. Doctor Watson

Doctor Watson Registered Member

Yes indeed Bubba and Mele20. Some visitors of this thread just don't seem to bother reading what it's actually about. Some superficial cross-reading and then posting a quick reply just isn't enough. DVD+R's blether is a clear example of that (feel free to be offended, but if you use crude language, so can I).
    I could even put it this way : this is MY thread, and all I am interested in is an answer or a solution to my original question.
    This is not the place for discussion of problems with Process Guard, other programs, other companies or whatever. One of them however deserves to be discussed in a separate thread.
    As far as I'm concerned, all necessary answers have already been given and I thank those who did provide them.
    Bubba, you're welcome to close this thread for further replies if that's possible. There is no need for any further comments.

For those really interested, here's a summary - whether you individually agree or not :
    - I got a warning message that AntiVir at some point tried to modify all programs on my computer. In my humble opinion, that pointed in the direction of a virus within, or virus behaviour of AntiVir. Hence the title of this thread, however unlikely that would have been the case.
    - It turns out that it's not a virus, but that there is a bug in AntiVir that suggests that it modifies all exe files, but it only wants to read them.
    - This bug will be fixed.

That's it. That's all folks. End of story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.