Avira 2012 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MrGSM, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Hmmm, I don't remember rebooting. So, I agree that maybe it just needed a reboot to get new modules working properly. I will continue to watch the thing for the next few days.

2. Chakonari

Chakonari Registered Member

Re: Avira 2012 Premium

Seems a few users had a problem with a hanging installation. In my case I just was not prompted to re-boot after the old version was removed. After a reboot the installation continued in a normal manner.

Before the uninstalling began, I received a prompt to manually uninstall Spybot S&D and Sunbelt Personal Firewall. (No TeaTimer running and I had shut down the firewall and terminated the related processes)

Upon the recommendation from a Mod at the Avira forum, I ignored the warning.

The only real change I noticed so far(apart from the GUI), is that the shut-down time has increased on XP SP3. Haven't timed it, but it's a pain when I want to fall from my chair into bed :cautious:

EDIT: Isn't rebooting something that should always be done after installing security or other system related software?

3. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

It seems to be fashionable these days for antivirus or internet security applications to install without requiring a reboot. I think many tout this as a benefit and it is also something that is mentioned by reviewers as being a positive part of the user experience. I have been trialing a few different av softwares recently and it seems like it is about half and half as to whether a reboot is required after install.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

And yet another mod said Spybot should not be run with Avira and linked to Avira research articles to back the statement. http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-business-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/973 and http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-business-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1028

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Having to deal with the problem of installing Avira12 on my computer, after all the permutations, tests, images etc. I've come to realize that Sandboxie and Avira don't like each other in their current versions (Avira12 will not install on my system with Sandboxie).

I used to run Avira10 in the past with Sandboxie mostly with the web guard disabled as it would slow down noticeably my browsing. I know the speed of my main computer with Sandboxie AND no Avira, now I know its speed with Avira12 AND no Sandboxie. The difference is remarkable, with Avira12 and no Sandboxie my computer is a real juggernaut.

The bottom line is that I've never realized the impact of Sandboxie alone on my system, it is substantial, and I suspect that when SB is deployed with other applications the impact on the over all speed can only increase.

Now I'm not suddenly branding SB as the culprit for my speed problems, but I feel it is fair to say (contrary to most common Wilders lore) that Avira12 Premium (full installation) does not impact my system as much as Sandboxie.

This is not a tirade against SB which I have installed on 2 other machines, but rather the conclusion I have reached after 3 days of testing on my main computer. For the time being SB will remain uninstalled until I hear some kind of changes. It is interesting to note, that I posted at the Avira forum and at the Sandboxie forum, and in both forums my queries were simply ignored.

Edit: Tzuk from the SB forum replied he can't do much about it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Chakonari

Chakonari Registered Member

It's only for the real-time stuff like TeaTimer (though I don't have problems running it with AntiVir)... not on-demand scanning, host file protection or browser protection provided by Spybot S&D.

The warning that appears during installation (which I ignored), tells the user to completely remove it - which is something not stated in the links you provided.

7. GSL

GSL Registered Member

Is the cloud base scanning available in the finalized version? Avira website didn't mention it.

8. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Cloud features won't be implemented until the next version of Avira.

9. GSL

GSL Registered Member

That is disappointing, avira did poorly in zero day protection.

10. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I still experience these two glitches. Am I alone?

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Technically, this isn't about the beta.

My Avira suite keeps nagging me to 'upgrade' to the new version.

But it cannot install because I use WIN XP SP2. Avira 2012 requires SP3.

Why I don't want SP3 ? Long story.

Is there any way to stop Avira from nagging me about upgrading to the new version ? It's annoying.
    Of course, I could uninstall the product.

12. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

There is a very nasty conflict with Outpost and the latest Avira (at least on my system). I had to go back to Private Firewall. Keep that in mind if you use Outpost and plan on trying the latest Avira. I had no issues with it with the old version.

13. vojta

vojta Registered Member

It also conflicts with Zemana and DefenseWall. DW will release an update to address this. I'm waiting for news from Zemana.

14. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Have no conflicts here with Outpost and Avira on 7x64. Removed Outpost and installed Avira first and no issues/

15. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I know it was Outpost in my case because I was able to reproduce the issue. I had to go back to a image because it hosed the system. I went back again and uninstalled it and have had no issues since. Something went horribly wrong with Outpost and Avira 2012 on my computer.

16. The Hammer

My system seems to respond faster with Avira 12 than it did with 10. Startup , browser response etc.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I had the same problem with Look'n'Stop. I've re-installed it after Avira12 and everything is fine now.

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi guys,

I seem to recall someone here posting something about the downloading of files hanging and/or the browser not reporting real time stats.

This happened to me today. I can't seem to find it right now, but do any of you remember this thread and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks!

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I think this is the thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=309246
    I use the free version and didn't notice something similar.

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Stupid upgrade gave me toolbar nags once again. Had to block it.

22. The Hammer

How many Times did it ask? If you say ask me later 3 times it is suppose to stop.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It already did that, now it's asking again after upgrading.

Also nagging me to reboot :thumbd:. Definitely would've chosen Rescue Disk instead if it supported my hard drive.

24. The Hammer

The upgrade is considered to be new software. If what you mean by upgrade is moving fron V10 to V12. That's why your being asked again I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.