avira 10 free question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wutsup, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders, ive been using aivra since avira 9, and on my vista 64bit computer, i could block the pop ups no problem (wont mention how to do it since i think its against the tos)

but now im using avira 10 free personal and i blocked the nag screen and it hasnt showed up during any updates, but when i updated avira today(havent used my vista 64bit main computer in over a week) the nag screen popped up again. can anyone tell me why this happens? even if i disabled the pop up.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, there are quite a couple of BSOD threads on Avira forums. Some about the firewall component, others about the antirootkit. The only "solution" was to uninstall the offending component, disabling them doesn't fix it. There's also one with BSOD on scheduled scan which had no solution AFAICT.

I didn't get blue screens, I got DCOM error and forced reboot, like in the old days of some worm which didn't work well w/ non-English versions of Windows, causing the same (can't recall its name ATM]. Well, needless to say, AV that can't properly scan is useless to me. So, my advice - stay w/ v9 or look elsewhere.

EDIT: Pressed accidentially enter. So, here's the rest of my reply. We have this thread about the phone-home stuff, plus the original v10 announcement thread covers quite a bit of it. The "answers" provided by Avira turned out to be completely useless so far (quoted here and here. I don't think we need yet another thread about this.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

yea i read about that avnotify phoning home stuff, kind scary but i think ill keep using avira 10 free as other people are as well. but my question was why does avnotify.exe unblock itself when i block it in vista using the security deny and execute method. in avira 9 it never unblocked itself. on my secondary 32bit xp home computer i just use online armor free to block avnotify

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Perhaps a new version of avnotify.exe was installed and it didn't hold. Try resetting the security attributes on it again and see if it sticks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.