AVGAS Resident Shield Problem

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by NorthCountryBoy, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthCountryBoy

NorthCountryBoy Registered Member

I would be grateful if anyone could help me with an issue i have with the Resident Shield in AVG Anti-Spyware v7.4.1.5.3. it is the trial version and i am only 5 days into the 30 day trial.

the Resident Shield is frequently turning itself to inactive whenever i minimize or close it to system tray. the only way it will stay active, is if i have the application open on the desktop at all times. After reboot it is ok for some time, then in fact, it stays open regardless of whether i open it, close it to tray or whatever (as it should) but it eventually reverts back to inactive. the system tray icon remains red, green yellow and black, intimating that the Resident Shield is actually working, when in fact it is not working. i need to keep opening it to check if it is working, because as i say, the tray icon stays green, red, black and yellow.

i did have windows defender active, but after doing some research on this issue, i took advice from one of the posts on here, and turned windows defender of, but the issue remains.

I am unsure if un-installing and then re-installing would work. with it being the trial version, would it re-install, with all the features (well, resident shield anyway), or would it revert to scanner only, as if the trial had ended? if that makes any sense :D

any help at all with this problem, would be greatly appreciated.

My OS is Vista Ultimate 32-bit,

and i have these programs installed and updated on my PC

AVG Free
    AVG AS Trial
    Spyware blaster
    Spybot - S & D
    Ad-Aware SE

NCB

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Not sure but I would try to uninstall and reinstall to fix this issue.
    Sounds like there might have been a conflict somewhere there.
    Original install might have not have gone well. Uninstall then reinstall and the timer on the trial should pick up what time you have left.
    If you have a restore/image/snapshot software, I would restore an image to before you put AVS AS on your pc and try again, you would get the full 30 days that way. Seeing as thou you were having problems from the start you would not be doing anything wrong IMO.
    By the way you did'nt list a firewall. Just curious.

3. NorthCountryBoy

sorry, forgot to specify, im using the windows native firewall, which i got into the nuts and bolts of, and configured it the way i want it.

thanks very much for the advice btw.

i will try uninstall - reinstall, as i only reformatted a couple of weeks ago, and have installed a good few programs since, and dont want to do a system restore, if i can get away with it.

many thanks once again, for your input.

4. NorthCountryBoy

i have re-installed the program, and the problem remains the same.

anyone any idea what the problem is?

5. Persian Boy

Persian Boy Registered Member

Hi NorthCountryBoy!

You should check the startup item in the taskbar.

Right click on the AVG AS icon and check the" Start whit Windows"

Attached Files:

• AVG.jpg
      AVG.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am sure the OP is starting it with Windows.... otherwise closing the app.
    would exit without warning and of course there would be no tray icon.
    This is one of my gripes. I don't start it with Windows and everytime I open
    the main window from the tray icon and then close it, Avgas exits. I have to
    r/click the tray icon and select "Hide Main Window" to avoid this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.