AVG vs Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zoli62, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoli62

zoli62 Registered Member

I have used a long time ago Avira. Now i try AVG. I wait any suggestion. In my opinion Avira is the simpler, easier working product.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVIRA has better detection rate, is simpler and easier to use, and is less stable than AVG Anti-Malware/Internet Security. :)

3. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I would go with Avira. better detection, better gui, faster response time. But yeah most wil agree that AVG is more stable and has less problems.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I just started trialing Avira, I like it so far. With my old AV I got so much junk I rarely submited anything (mostly I just deleted it), when I did submit anything it mostly turned out to be junk.

5. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AntiVir Classic is my choice and works great on both systems.

Could be frustrating for the next *few* days, due to extreme AVIRA Server Overloads from the new release expected today. :D

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Antivir for sure!:D

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Between the two my vote is for Avira.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avg all the way,

its only a few percent lower in detection,

but performance, GUI, stability all go to AVG
    , the suite is a good one. :)

9. Firecat

Both AVG and AVIRA have good detection rates, but AVIRA's response time to virus submissions is better than AVG. But AVG is more stable, and more importantly, AVG has really excellent value for money, which is IMO unbeaten in the industry. The prices for the AVG suite are simply excellent, and when you consider the renewal price (50% off), AVG becomes a lot cheaper in the long run than almost anything else on the market. :)

10. minacross

minacross Registered Member

OT:
    Last edited by Radu : Today, at 5:32 AM. Reason: Found new malicious code
    o_O o_O
    what does that mean? o_O

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well I take it as he was using AVG, then tried Avira, and it detected some malicious virus. So he decided to purchase Avira. That what I think it means.:rolleyes:

12. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Between these two, the place where I do believe Avira falls down is its price structure especially for the suite - just too high. Further, I don't particularly like a compulsory donation to an organization that I probably not have anything to do with except that I am forced to contribute in order to purchase the product.

I really like the functionality and interface of Avira but the price structure bothers me because the value is not there. As Firecat well said, AVG has great values and will prbably work for most users. Will continue to give it more thought. Good thread.

Gary

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I look at it like this. At least they are donating and state that up front, who the charity is. I guess they could be like others and just pocket the extra money for increased revenue. All of these vendors need subscribers and revenue to expand and grow. That is why I try to walk that thin line and not bash any beyond reason. Because the truth is without all of them, things would never improve. Remember the old days with just Norton and Mac. It took the Aviras,Esets,F-Prots and the rest to make the bg ones realize they couldnt continue to supply a half ass product and reap the rewards. So given a portion to charity, especially when the revenue may be needed, is pretty damn cool with me.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that is one of the reasons why i got it for my sister's laptop a damn cheap decent av that is improving and also give money to charity at the same time:thumb:
    lodore

15. Firecat

Wrong :p

That is a signature spreading worm, i.e. it is part of my signature, and Radu is a good friend of mine who collects malicious samples on a daily basis. I put this signature to pay some homage to him, and also to slightly tease him :p :D

But yeah, Radu uses AVIRA and I use AVG. :D

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thought I might have that wrong, but hey, it was a good try.;)

17. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

AVG free has a poor detection rate compared to Antivir free, and it's pretty safe to say that it's more than a couple of % points. You're probably thinking about AVG Anti-Malware w/ the Ewido engine (not free) which has a respectable detection rate. Then again I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me if that's the case.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

OP did not mention anything about free versions.

19. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

He didn't mention anything about the paid version either. :doubt:

20. kid_curry

kid_curry Registered Member

TrustPort Workstation has 4 engines.
    It uses AVG AND Ewido (spyware) AND Norman and (optional) BitDefender.
    I am very impressed with it.

See the latest av-comparatives ...

21. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

AVG Free + AVG AntiSpyware Free should equal the AVG Anti-Malware "On Demand Test" results from AV Comparatives, which are very good. RealTime detection however may be a whole different ballgame when comparing AVG Pro to Avira Personal Premium. I would give the edge to Avira for RealTime detection though because I think it's Heuristics are better than AVG for Virus detection, and I believe it uses Heuristics for RealTime spyware detection that AVG Pro doesn't include. I would also give Avira PP the edge over AVG Anti-Malware because according to Grisoft the Antispyware Component is strictly signature based, and only the AV Component uses Heuristics for RealTime detection. As far as the free versions, after seeing how well most of the updates went today and that Avira included the Rootkit detection scan even in the free version, I would once again have to give the edge to Avira even with a "Pop Up" screen. (I know it can be disabled, but it did bother me that I had to use Safe Mode and go through all that to do it.) I still will add that I like AVG a lot, feel it is definitely improving, and am not the least bit afraid to use it on my PC for RealTime AV protection.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I like and use them both! See my Sig. :D

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

For my needs (which is still w98se) i would take AVG for its stability and decent enough protection.Even now updates have "fixed" things for 98 operating systems.For the paid versions i think you may find that AVGs official support is rather better too.
    ellison

24. Technic

Technic Registered Member

AVG lacks spyware detection. Its clear choice for me:

Avira. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.