AVG slow problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D All AVG users: I need to know if the exorbitant CPU consumption of AVG 7.0 has been resolved.

Thanks
    wildman
    o_O

2. wildman

o_O They may be the victim of a virus themselves. Attempted to once again download and install AVG 7.0, received reply that files were corrupted.

Think I'll leave this alone for awhile. A large down load like this takes on average 55 minutes to an hour on my 56k modem machine.

Sure wish that these problems could be resolved, I liked AVG 6.0 but this AVG 7.0 is starting to become a pain in the posterior.

Thanks
    wildman
    :'(

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. wildman

:) No I uninstalled it when AVG 7.0 came out, but looking at the site you may be correct, I think I'll give it a try.

Thanks
    wildman
    :D

5. wildman

:rolleyes: Looks like AVG 6.0 can still be maintained but the version is no longer available for download (FREE version that is). Still would like to know if the AVG 7.0 version has been fixed to not use so much CPU capacity. I will wait to see feed back on this subject before I spend the time to down load and install it again.

P.S. Also noticed that the AVG 6.0 version was approx. 7.3MB while the AVG 7.0 version is approx. 10.3MB. Am I correct in thinking this would effect performance response time?

Thanks
    wildman
    o_O

6. wildman

o_O Once again AVG 7.0 has been down loaded and installed on my machine. I will now monitor the response of my machine. Thus far the only noticeable difference has been the boot up time, and there has not been that much of a noticeable difference.

In case there has been any doubt, I like AVG. I like the ease of use and the ease in obtaining updates. I have tried the other (FREE) virus programs, and they all have faults that I would rather not have to deal with. Pay virus protection programs are not exempt either.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool:

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

wildman,

if you install the avast! Home Edition on your system, you notice any slow down on your system?

What is your system specification?

8. wildman

:mad: AVG 7.0 is once again off my machine.

Before I install AVAST, I want to know how to stop unwanted entries in my TEMP files, and how to set it up for as little interaction as possible. I also do not want to use scheduler.

Info: Compaq Presario 5070 desktop. Windows98. 56k modem on dial-up. Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1.

Thanks
    wildman
    :eek:

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

What you mean with stop unwanted entries in your TEMP files?
    With avast! you can configure it to not show nothing, so you can say what is your needs and I will try to help you...
    avast! Home Edition doesn't have scheduler...

10. wildman

o_O Crow: O.k. AVAST is now installed on my machine. Attached is a screen shot of the TEMP files I would prefer to not be placed in my TEMP files to begin with.

Thanks
    Wildman

Attached Files:

• Jets.jpg
      Jets.jpg
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

12. wildman

:mad: Well AVAST is now also off my machine. Wouldn't you know it, but the company that I like the least now appears to have the best FREE virus protection program for my machine. I really am angry about how AVG has apparently screwed up AVG 7.0, I wish they could have left well enough alone, AVG 6.0 was great, but AVG 7.0 SUCKS. AVAST didn't solve the slow down problem that significantly either, plus the unwanted entries in the TEMP folder was something I did not want to have to deal with.

Thanks
    wildman
    :mad: :'(

13. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Wildman we knew it all along, we just didn't have the heart to tell you! :D :D :D

Incidently, how come you've suddenly become OriginalWildman on those other sites - has some cheapo pinched your moniker? :D :D ;)

14. vlk

vlk AV Expert

I'm lost. What's wrong with the fact that avast is using your TEMP folder. That's what the TEMP folder is all about, to be used by your programs, isn't it?

Or the Jet files there keep growing? I doubt that... :doubt:

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

vlk,

me too, and the generated files by avast will be deleted...

But it seems that the avast slow down the wildman computer, so...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  16. Unity

Unity Registered Member

<snip>
    AVG is slow , Antivir updates are too big , Avast puts some files in the temp folder.

Maybe your computer is the one to blame here. Remember that those AV are FREE.

You are not happy with them ? then try a commercial one.

let's keep the personal comments to ourselves - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2005
  17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! MUST extract data somewhere if you select Archive scanning. YOu cannot avoid this. Also avast! as any other program uses TEMP folder for it's own operations. They could make it to store such files in install folder,but they chose TEMP. It's nothing wrong with that.
    There is exactly one avast! folder in TEMP file called _avast4_ which is empty when you're not scanning with Simple Interface.

I also can't understand all the slowdown problems people are having.
    Problem must be elsewhere because you have NT syste (which is in general faster than Win9x) plus machine has enough horsepowers to run it without any slowdowns.

18. wildman

o_O What's wrong with taking the control of your machine away from you and giving it to me? (Same difference)!

The entries in this area could only be deleted in SAFE mode, sorry but I did not like that!

Thanks
    wildman
    :p

19. wildman

:D At least give me credit for admitting it, still does not mean that I am happy with that company. I still think they have a tendency to be quiet arrogant and slow to change any thing for the better.

Yep the moniker wildman on some of the other sites indicates that it is already in use, thus original wildman. Last but not least, I have indicated before, I am blunt in quiet a few of my posts, and I make no apologies for it.

Thanks
    wildman
    :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.