AVG Personal E-Mail Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Aren't you on an Avast diet?

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

One word of advice: don't engage in Beta-testing, unless you do have a separate test system at your disposal.

regards.

paul

4. minacross

I'm just giving it a try :doubt:

5. pollux

pollux Registered Member

minacross,

I'm reviving this thread because I've been able to get the AVG personal email scanner to work with Outlook Express & with Mozilla Thunderbird. So far (in the past few days) it's scanned out a small pile of infected messages, and it certifies incoming as well as outgoing mail.

I basically followed the admittedly not-very-intuitive instructions included in the pop-up help for the version of the scanner that I downloaded - I'm using the free version of AVG for now (avast! slows down my old box too much and I'm a student so need a free program). Maybe you're using the AVG pro version, which I think has the scanner included, and maybe the help file is different? At any rate, I found your post when I was still trying figure out how to get it to work.

Anyway, if you're still messing around with the scanner, I could send more details on what I did for Thunderbird (and also my relevant rules for Kerio 2.1.5).

Let me know,
    pollux

6. minacross

sure, I'm using mozilla 1.6. I think what you did with TB willl work just fine with mozilla..
    thanx in advance..

7. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Well there were three steps for me. The last one involved configuring the rules for Kerio 2.1.5, which may not apply for you. So here are the other two, which I've tried to spell out for clarity:

1. Configure Thunderbird (POP & SMTP):
    This has to be done for each seperate account, if you have more than one.
    Go to "Account Settings"
    (in Thunderbird, this is found under "Tools". According to the AVG helpfile, in Mozilla it's found under "Edit").
    Go to "Server settings"
    Set the POP server to localhost by entering 127.0.0.1.
    Set the port for the Pop Server to 5110 (the default is 110).
    Leave everything else as it is.
    Next go to "Outgoing server settings (SMTP)"
    Set the SMTP server to localhost, also, by entering 127.0.0.1.
    There is no port to change for SMTP - AVG help says that Mozilla doesn't allow this to be changed.
    Leave everthing else as it is.

2. Congifure the AVG Personal Email Scanner:
    Go to the Mail Proxy tab in the AVG Control Center.
    You'll be setting up one POP server and one SMTP server for all of your Mozilla accounts to use (if you have more than one).
    Choose the "Configure" button.
    Choose the "Add" button.
    Choose "POP3" from the dropdown menu, then "OK"
    You'll go back to the "Configure" window, and now there will be a POP3 account.
    Click (double click?) on the POP3 account to return to the same window you just had, except now "Connection" will be highlit on the left.
    Make sure the port says 5110 - i.e., the same port that you put in for POP3 in your mail program.
    (I chose the box "use APOP if possible," although I don't know what that means.)
    Make sure the "This server is active etc." box is checked.
    Click OK.
    The result will look funny (or it did to me) because what you will see is:
    POP3: port:5110 host "
    There's no second quotation mark, but that's fine.

Now for the SMTP account.
    Again choose "Add" on the "Configure" page of the Control Center Email Proxy tab.
    Choose "SMTP" from the drop-down.
    You will get a warning that an SMPT server name can't be empty, and then the connection page will show.
    For "relay host," put in the SMTP address of your email (smtp.internetprovider.com).
    For "local port (used in email client)" put 25 (the usual port- you didn't change it in Mozilla).
    Choose "Automatic" for queue processing.
    Where it asks for "server port for administrative messages delivery," choose the port you used in the POP3 account for Mozilla, 5110.
    Make sure that the "this server is active box" is checked.
    Click OK

And you're done. Unless you need to do something for the firewall.

I've added a screen shot of how my "configure" tab looks. I have 2 SMTP servers defined, one for Thunderbird and one for Outlook Express, but I suppose I could have just one by setting Outlook Express to use "localhost, port 25" for SMTP. I have both programs using 5110 for incoming. I'll probably change it at the point when I really start using Thunderbird - for now, I'm still playing with Firefox in my free time, so I haven't even imported the bulk of my messages.

So, hope all of that helps!

pollux

Attached Files:

8. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Hey, after I wrote I was thinking that there's certainly a much easier way to say it all. Like, set the servers to localhost in the email program and make the ports match the ones in AVG. It's just that, when I'm working on this kind of thing, I'm normally on the phone with some friend who's not at all computer literate and not speaking in my 1st language. Which seems to have produced a certain style of explanation....

pollux

9. minacross

got it, thanx ;)

10. ka9qlq

ka9qlq Registered Member

Any ideas on doing that in linux with thunderbird and a av?
    Alvin

11. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Well, my current knowledge of Linux is limited to the Knoppix live-CD version which I've used for hardware troubleshooting purposes mostly so far...

It is important that this is an AVG feature (not any av). AVG has a (not free) version for Linux - you'd need to see whether the personal email scanner is included. I think that the free scanner that we've discussed in this post is for Windows only and in any case it's an add-on for the free AVG program for Windows.

If you haven't puchased AVG for Linux, look around this board some - it seems that if you're going to pay for your av, then AVG is far from being the 1st choice. I'm not sure about what else is available for Linux, though.

If you have already paid for AVG for Linux, and it does include the email scanner, then I would imagine that the congifuration would be quite similar to the Windows method. At some point you'd have to tell Thunderbird which ports to use and then likewise for the scanner.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.