AVG Mobilation - Chrome extension by AVG to secure Chrome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...dimaajmfhabddnpio?hl=en-US&hc=search&hcp=main

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I didn't see anything about conflicts with other AV software, but I would assume it would conflict.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

So, users can now get AVG LinkScanner plus malware protection with one extension.

Exploit protection + ratings + malware protection.

I'm going to give it a try and see if I like it. If I do like it, then I'll install it in relatives computers.

Thanks

4. Hungry Man

I don't think it would conflict but I haven't looked into it enough. Do you mean other AV extensions?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, I meant if you had an actual AV program installed on your system, like Avast, Norton, and so on.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

7. acr1965

only one option and no search result links displayed

Attached Files:

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well that's a bummer. All that hype and they hand you an extension that is as blank as Chrome itself :D

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have had problems with AVG programs uninstalling. I'll have to skip this but it looks neat.

10. acr1965

I finally got the file scanner to work. The scan took a bit longer than most and missed what 26 av's on VT say is adware/malware in a file. I never could get the safe search to work.

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, I did a bit of a testing and initially I was searching in https://encrypted.google.com, but not ratings would appear.

Apparently, this is the search engine used by AVG Mobilation

http://isearch.avg.com/search?q=dl.dropbox.com

Give it a try. Obviously, you need the extension installed. :p

In that example, I'm seeing one link with an orange rating.

I may be wrong, but for what I could see, rates will only be provided when a link is deemed to be dangerous only.

That said, I'll keep my relatives with AVG LinkScanner instead, because I also have them running BitDefender TrafficLight extension, and obviously TL's ratings won't appear. :D

-edit-

Odd. I just checked the link that AVG Mobilation Safe-Search flags, for the dl.dropbox.com search results, against AVG LinkScanner Safe-Search. The latter displays a clean result. So does AVG LinkScanner Surf-Shield. o_O

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I saw the OP posted Android phone. Has anyone tried this out on an Android device yet?

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I know a few people who have had similar problems with uninstalling AVG. I would have thought an extension should uninstall cleanly. But I have the same fears as you do. It looks like a nice extension idea though, but I think it may be a bit surplus to requirements in many ways.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks for posting. I'm not going to use Chrome just for this though.

15. Hungry Man

Out of curiosity - what would make you switch?

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Far more customization. Less disk space usage. Easier to move/modify it, the profile, and cache.

17. Hungry Man

Customization probably won't come for a while - not their biggest priority.

Disk space usage is all about the cache size, which you can limit (you can also move it using the same method.)

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Tried it. Did not install on chromium build( downloaded a week back or so) on ubuntu.
    Installed on chrome on XP. Can,t see any ratings. I downloaded few malqware samples from MDL, none flagged or interrupted. :thumbd:

Concept is very nice but not working so far. Expect more AVs to release such addons. They have benefit in the sense that they are relatively OS independent( you might install on linux, windows, OSx etc). Little resource usage. Cloud based analysis. Little or no conflict with installed AV. I like the idae indeed. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.