AVG LinkScanner 2011 free standalone is in the cloud.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LODBROK, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I got it to work. I started IE9 in InPrivate Browsing, and in such mode tool bars and extensions are disabled. I simply didn't give much importance to this, because I have relatives who have been using IE8 with InPrivate Browsing and the option to disable extensions and tool bars is also enabled, but maybe due to a bug o_O it didn't have any effect, at all. LinkScanner's ratings always worked. Which made me not have such under consideration.

So, it's working.

2. m00nbl00d

One question regarding Chrome support.

In this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1824158&postcount=70

I gave this info, that I got from AVG forum:

Today, while at AVG forum, I found this -http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=152657

And it's stated that

This dates from 14.3.2011.

Isn't this odd? So, is it or isn't it already working with Google Chrome? The Safe-Search component via an extension, that is. Surf-Shield works with any browser.

o_O

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Very bloated and doesn't work on Firefox 4.

4. m00nbl00d

Care to explain further why you consider it to be bloated? Give it time to support a newly arrived Firefox version. ;) But, Surf-Shield doesn't care about the version, as it will be scanning http traffic.

Try this test -http://www.explabs.com/test (You need JavaScript enabled.)

Surf-Shield should block the test.

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

is avg linkscanner better than avast web + network shield ?

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The Web Installer version is 126 mb, plus 4 mb for the downloader.

The Offline Installer vary from 68 mb to 83 mb.

How is that not bloated for just a linkscanner? It's larger than some entire antivirus programs!

7. m00nbl00d

Different purposes.

avast! web shield will protect against known threats;
    avast! network shield will protect against known malicious domains

AVG LinkScanner Search-Shield will protect against known malicious/fraudulent domains (This is the component providing the ratings.);
    AVG LinkScanner Surf-Shield will protect against unknown malicious threats, by providing protection against exploits, JavaScript obfuscation...

So, answering you, no, AVG LinkScanner isn't better than avast! web shield + avast! network shield. The same way avast! web shield + avast! network shield aren't better than AVG LinkScanner.

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

thanx for explaining moonblood but il stick with avast
    and as j_l pointed out linkscanner is bloated atleast in the setup

9. m00nbl00d

I don't see it as bloated, because it doesn't offer unneeded features. Also, it's provided in many languages, all contained in the same package. It would be nice to have the option to only download our language version, though.

There are also other factors. Some that I may not be aware of, to be honest.

Could AVG do something about it to shorten the size of the installer? They could, such as providing individual installers for each language; not include Search-Shield database of known malicious/fraudulent websites, and provide such service in the cloud, rather than locally.

The best we can do is suggest it to them. ;)

10. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Does anyone have any idea when AVG LinkScanner 2011 will be made compatible with Firefox 4?

Thanks in Advance.

11. vlk

vlk AV Expert

This is a completely inaccurate statement IMHO.
    On the contrary, I think that the purpose of the two is very same, and the tools used by the two are also very similar. And they both are of course intended to cover both known and unknown threats (how many times has the avast WebShield blocked an "unknown" malicious script on a web page, for example - quite oftenm actually).

Thanks
    Vlk

12. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

thanks for clarifying that vlk :thumb:

13. m00nbl00d

If avast! WebShield blocks malicious scripts, then that's great. It's something I wasn't familiar with.

But, no... avast! webshield is not similar to LinkScanner. I've put LinkScanner through some testing, along side avast! 5 sometime ago, and avast! network shield (not web shield) only blocked access to 1 domain known to be malicious. Web shield didn't stop access to websites hosting exploits.

Or, are you saying it does? Sometime ago, you considered exploits fight to be useless, because it relies on blacklist, when I asked for more info on WebRep and asked what other threats it would stop, like exploits, etc. That's an absurd. Exploits don't last long, and therefore a blacklist wouldn't be efficient, at all.

So, what has changed from that day until now?

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Always good to hear from the know :thumb:

15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

16. m00nbl00d

17. TheKid7

18. m00nbl00d

Latest version includes Safe-Search for Chrome... It also works with Chromium. If you can't see the extension (in the web browser), then go to C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Chrome and pressing SHIFT, right-click the extension and select "Copy as path" and paste to the web browser address bar. Install it. Make sure you all Safe-Search plugins, if you have plugins disabled or the option Click-to-Play enabled.

Works great... but there's a problem between Safe-Search and BitDefender TrafficLight. I already reported the issue in TL thread.

19. TheKid7

A new version of AVG Linkscanner was released on April 7, 2011.

Changelog:

Changelog for previous version which was released on March 29, 2011:

20. m00nbl00d

-edit-

There's no need to do what I suggested! It will be automatically installed. I simply had JavaScript disabled, which is why I couldn't see it working.

21. m00nbl00d

New version is available.

Link: -http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-smf

No changelog has been provided, yet. But, as soon as it comes out, it will be provided here -http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=110703

22. TheKid7

23. TheKid7

AVG LinkScanner 2011 version 10.0.1375 release notes:

24. m00nbl00d

A new version came out yesterday.

On a side note, I'd like to ask to those running Chromium (latest builds), if you're experiencing issues with LinkScanner Safe-Search extension? Does it show any ratings?

25. carat

carat Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.