AVG keeps demanding I run it at start-up

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Emoticon Man, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emoticon Man

Emoticon Man Registered Member

Every time I run the AVG Control Center, it asks me if I want it to run it at start up. The answer is now and always will be NO... unless it's absolutely necessary, I don't like things running on start up and would much prefer to run them off a batch process (which is why I use Batch Run with .brs files associated). Is there any way to turn this annoying "feature" off?

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

3. canuk'er

canuk'er Guest

I just tried to install AVG on my WIN98 box. Seemed to install OK & then run OK when it did virus check during initial DOS portion of boot but boot sequence wouldn't complete beyond login prompt. Believing that it may be resource limitations on my ancient machine, I first deactivated & later removed the outdated McAfee AV I had running (thining maybe McAfee & AVG were competing for a resource). This didn't work & I ended up having to de-install AVG. I don't want to give up on this and plan to either give it another short or go for a another free AV download. Recommendations anyone??

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

5. canuk'er

canuk'er Guest

Any ideas on why system wouldn't finish boot with AVG installed?

Also, noticed that BitDefender seems to get better reviews than AVG or Avast but not as much hype in the forums. Some other forums are what led me to AVG in the first place. Why the lack of "hype" on BitDefender free version compared to the others?

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Probably because Bitdefender Free isn't a perfect substitute for AVG or Avast. A big reason why AVG and Avast are so popular is because they offer reasonably good anti-virus protection to many PC users who don't want to pay for an AV.

Bitdefender free doesn't serve this purpose, because it doesn't have an on-access (resident) scanner. So Bitdefender free is a product for people who want a good, free "backup" scanner - a much smaller group of people.

If you have any other Bitdefender questions Canuk'er, you might want to start a new discussion thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.