AVG is now on virustotal.com

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TAP, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Attached Files:

2. KERANO

KERANO Guest

McAfee missing there!

Also Sophos and F-secure!

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi Kerano,

Yes F-secure is missing but they do heavily rely on the KAV engine. If KAV detects then so will F-secure.

Mcafee is there in secret!! It is included in Sybari scan engine. (I e mailed them!)

Cheers

Jlo

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

TAPP and other fellow creatures,

what is totalvirus.com? :doubt: is it just virus news site.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Did you have a look at that site?
    Cheers,

Gerard

6. mercurie

Yes, it appears to be as I stated I could not find an "ABOUT US" maybe I missed it. Sorry to sound so ignorant or lazy, I have bookmarked for future investigation. There are so many of these. And BigC specifically pointed to one site he was not comfortable with. "Top Ten of Everything" or something like that, which was giving advice. One needs to be careful, that is why I asked my question of those many here that I trust before I just except as fact what is posted. No offense intend to my friend TAPP either, as he could provide answer as well. Just me I guess. :)

Edit: Ah yes, I see what it is more about now that I have looked a little deeper; sorry for the confusion. :oops: Interesting and very useful for the war against nasties. ;)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  7. KERANO

KERANO Guest

Hi jlo,

F-secure have and their own engines... also it make diferent scores than KAV in all testings...

Pc-cillin, Titan AV, TDS3 and Sophos should be there too :)

8. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Well yes you are sort of correct.

They do use KAV engine so anything that is detected by KAV is detected by F-secure.

They also use Libra,orion engine. They used to use F-prot engine but changed to Libra (which is very similar) and also use Orion. This is for when they receive a virus sample that they want to add very quickly and don't want to wait for KAV defs. They will add it to there own engine.

Normal cases they usually add to KAV. F-secure is an excellent product. They don't update there defs as often as KAV but its still very good.

Cheers

Jlo

9. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hey, you can upload suspicious files to an online multi-scanner to see what some scanners say about that suspicious file.

This is another online multi-scanner, Jotti's malware scan. :)

http://virusscan.jotti.dhs.org/

Attached Files:

10. mercurie

TAPP,
    Yes, as I said in my edit part. After a longer look I understood a little better, but thanks for your clarification too. Perhaps in the future I will put my brain and eyes in gear before I put my typing figures in gear. LOL :D

11. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

jlo,

but f-secure is freakin' expensive. the most expensive personal av I've seen so far.

12. jlo

jlo Registered Member

hi JayTee,

You think F-secure is expensive? From there website including tax the cost is £25.95 Stirling. I just payed £27.03 stirling for Nod32 so no I don't think F-secure (Antivirus) is expensive.

Cheers

Jlo

13. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I can't see how that can be McAfee. From the Sybari website it appears to have a multi scan engine ....

Multiple scan engine management for comprehensive virus detection. Integrates leading third-party scan engines from Norman Data Defense, Sophos, Computer Associates, VirusBusters, Authentium, and Kaspersky Labs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.