AVG IS AV and Free 2011 Beta is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

Just today got an email from the Beta staff that the new Beta is out. Have no time right now to test it but if anyone has a screen-shot please post it . Can't wait to see the new face

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

gery, FYI. According to this Beta testing program page, under the Warnings section, it states:
    Whoever posts a screen shot, would have to prove (via PM to an Admin or Mod, prior to posting) that they have AVG's written approval to post such information. Without authorization, any screen shots posted here would be removed.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

DLing 64bit version now, I will install it when I get home from work. They have a laundry list of changes.

4. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Any new features?

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Couple of new option in the setup for the scanners,a tune-up program, and some features like autoruns. The task bar icon and the GUI are pretty much the same, just more modern looking.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. progress

progress Guest

I guess AVG Free will get the full anti-rootkit features :)

7. gery

gery Registered Member

it already has. i do not know how that performs as i am just running the Suite but what i heard is good words.
    Anyway AVG IS beta runs really light on my system and really no slow-downs at all. It feels better than the AV i had a few days ago. good job AVG:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I also have the same e-mail.

gery, as far as I'm aware of, AVG AV Free never had anti-rootkit protection. Only paid versions.

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

AVG Free did have rootkit protection, after reading the AVG website one could conclude AVG has two levels of rootkit protection:
    - basic anti-rootkit protection: included in AVG Free;
    - advanced anti-rootkit protection: included in the paid versions.

10. m00nbl00d

Where exactly are you seeing "basic anti-rootkit protection: included in AVG Free"?

All I can find is a comparison table http://free.avg.com/en-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free, but I see no mention to basic rootkit protection in AVG Free.

Could you give me a link where you got that information?

11. progress

progress Guest

12. m00nbl00d

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

To be honest I deducted that information from the main site.

Questions: Why would AVG state in a comparison table that the paid version has advanced antirootkit protection while the free version does not have advanced antirootkit protection? It only shows one kind of antirootkit protection, why the heck should they call it "advanced" anti rootkit protection.

Answer: Apparently there will be some kind of "basic" antirootkit protection if there is "advanced antirootkit protection". The most logic conclusion would be that the free version has that "basic" antirootkit protection; because the comparison table states that the paid version has an advantage over the free version: advanced anti rootkit protection.

14. m00nbl00d

What you mention makes sense, but all I can see is
    So, it doesn't clearly state that the free version has rootkit protection. I could have concluded it does, if I had in consideration the word "Advanced", but considering that most people would look at the comparison and see no rootkit protection in the free version, they would ditch it.

Truth be told, I've seen a lot people, for a very long time, complaining about the lack of rootkit protection in AVG AV Free. I guess they made the mistake I made, though I understand why they did it, because they would only look at the check icons and conclude it offers none.

AVG should let visitors know that there's indeed a basic protection for rootkits.

One could also easily assume that
    means that they offer advanced rootkit protection when comparing to other security vendors, and this is a fair assumption people may have.

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Every single thing you said makes perfect sense. AVG should have used the comparison table given on the German website on their main/international website. Even just for not getting people confused.

16. CiX

CiX Registered Member

more innovative than behavior analysis and cloud-based scanning...??

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  17. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Anti-rootkit protection - general marketing terminology

"Basic" = signature database includes rootkits

"Advanced" = includes specific techniques for blocking & detecting hidden rootkits​

18. progress

progress Guest

It seems that AVG Free will include a new component :p

19. CiX

CiX Registered Member

New GUI :p

20. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Awful program.
    I performed a scan and it freezed.
    Then it freezed my PC.

Uninstalled. :D

21. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Beta version or v9?

22. progress

progress Guest

Yes, it looks nice :D

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

AVg also has a habit of adding features to the free which were formerly paid.

First AVG free did not had rootkit included or it was so lousy that all the ones I tested simply walked through. AVG acquired a behavioral blocker (forgot the name). The AVG behavioral blocker component also looks at rootkit behaviour, so maybe they included rootkit fingerprints in the free version and mark the rootkit behavioral analysis of AVG as advanced o_O

24. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Beta version, of course.

25. progress

progress Guest

Yes, AVG Anti-Spyware (Ewido) and AVG Linkscanner (Exploit Prevention Labs) are free :) Maybe they should add AVG Identity Protection (Sana Security Antibot) too :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.