AVG Internet Security licence.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

A friend of mine has some sort of "arrangement" with an on-line service that supposedly helps keep her pc in tip top condition and advises her about security etc.Basically they sell her internet security products and persuade her to purchase upgrades for extortionate amounts.She asked my advice about their latest offer which was to "upgrade" her ram for £90.She already has 2 gig in her system (a dell laptop running vista 32 bit home premium).It runs perfectly well as it is with 2 gig. Considering that 32 bit will only recognise up to 4 gig ,that £90 seems mighty steep for an extra 2 gig that can be purchased for £30.They also told her they could upgrade remotely which is absurd. She has already (on their advice) purchased avg internet security 2011 for (get this) another £90.When I looked at the licence ,its activated up until 2018.Now all the legetimate avs ive seen dont usually sell activations for that length of time unless its pirated software.So my question is ,are there legitimate sellers/re-sellers that have arrangements with av companies like AVG to sell a legitimate licence for that length of time?
    ellison

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

from what you are describing it sounds just like a scam. does this online so called service have a name?

3. ellison64

I don't know the name of the company ,but they have given her telephone support and in the past installed avira av remotely.I've sent off for 2 gig of ram for £18 for her and will fit it later this week.Ill find out the name of the company then. She has had this arrangement with this "support" company for some time ,and only asked my advice this week because they have phoned her on a few occasions about "upgrading" her computer for £90.Because she had only just recently purchased AVG from them for £90 also ,shed decided to ask my opinion.I wonder whether there's a rouge element at this support company or whether its the whole company.Seeing the avg 2018 licence definitly didnt seem right to me,but then again im not a seller and dont know if those deals exist.

4. ellison64

Yes I have told her,and have explained that to fit the ram they would either have had to visit her or she would have had to send the laptop off.She really has no clue about these things and thought it best to have this "service" .When I fit the ram for her ,ill find out the name of the company.I may also email AVG and ask whether such long licence arrangements exists for their resellers.If not then im sure they'll be interested in this company's actions.

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

If an AVG license number is valid for more than 2 yrs then it most likely is a pirated license that they sold her. And yes they will. ;) In fact, send them a copy of the license as well.

https://eshop.avg.com/us-en/cart - See? The maximum is 2 years. :ninja:

6. ellison64

Yes all the googled 18 year licences point to pirated.I've emailed AVG to clarify whether these licences are valid or not.If not Ill let AVG know.This "support" company has even phoned her for customer satisfaction feedback.As of now I don't know whether its a valid company (with perhaps a dodgy individual working there )or not.Ill find out more later this week.Working out how to get her 90 quid back is more of a concern at the moment.

7. ellison64

AVG support has replied that the longest legitimate licence is between 2 and 3 years and the 18 year licence is not legitimate.The name of the company that my friend seems to have had this fake licence from is http://pcwebwork.com/ .I've told her to ring them and ask for an immediate refund.I'm still not sure whether this was an unscrupulous individual or whether the company is dodgy.Looking at the site it seems kosher ,so im leaning towards an individual at the moment.
    ellison

EDIT.....Actually it does look like a scam ,and my friends lost her money.Ohh dear
    http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02088193986

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.