AVG Antivirus Free 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

FileHippo.com

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

3. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

If you were running 1170 or earlier and were passed up by the 1188/1189 updates, 1191 included the 1188/1189 fixes and improvements.

I had 1170 when 1191 rolled in and the attached is what I got. FYI: I don't run the email or Office/Outlook components.

It's interesting to note that in the distant past LinkScanner depended on one database, recently it went to two and lately, three.

Attached Files:

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

THANK YOU very much for this information.

I have 1170 and thought it was the latest version - AVG never said there was a new version out either by my updates or automatic pop-up as it should do.

So I had no need to look for it on the net. It was this post that told me. I went to FileHippo and downloaded it, installed it and all works perfect.

Again Mops (can`t you flatter yourself with a more appropriate name ?), thank you.

I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year.

John :D

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

More o_O

I've been digging the free AVG forum, and one more problems seems to be reported by users regarding Bad Image error/warning.

(name of application) - Bad Image C:\Windows\system32\AVGRSSTX.DLL

-http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=140853#post_140853

For the interested knowing how to try to fix it, the link above explains it.

Obviously, this is not a severe problem... I'd say just a minor annoyance. (Other major problems are hitting their users, but only one or other case. Nothing any other software vendor doesn't have. :D)

Anyway, I just thought of reporting the link here, in case some of you/anyone you know may experience it, you already know what to do.

I just hope that AVG has learnt the lesson and no more MAJOR problems arise!

6. kodl

kodl Registered Member

This one really hit only a few users with specific configuration who updated around Dec 20. The DLL was incorrectly registered. This was fixed immediately but some users only found out later and posted on the forum in the last few days of December.

In any case, the last update is 1191, bringing both fixes and some improvements, primarily focused on compatibility and performance.

7. carat

carat Guest

I hope so too, the year 2010 wasn't a good year for avg customers :doubt:

8. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Why the all AVG's products uses a many of RAM o_O. I mean process "System" on Windows XP, it uses about 100MB! After remove, System uses 244KB.
    :thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:
    It's like a hog!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  9. carat

carat Guest

Try Panda or GData and you will see ~ 500 MB :)

However, RAM usage is no problem because every computer has 3-4 GB these days :thumb:

10. icr

icr Registered Member

I never experienced any slowdowns and even I do always recommend to my friends about using AVG Free version all the time:)

11. John Bull

Obviously all the comments made regarding AVG 2011 are valid, users do not imagine them. But due to the infinite variations of PC`s, Windows versions and personal choice of software, there are bound to be good`s and bad`s.

All I can say is that the different AVG versions have performed on my system perfectly for years without any problems worth noting. No bad years as some have mentioned - all good. At present, ever since I upgraded to 2011, I have not had a single problem.

Everybody gets the occasional bum-fight where things go wrong for no apparent reason, but that is the name of the game when you play with PC`s, a spaghetti junction of software and the Internet. It all makes an interesting deck of cards.

John

12. m00nbl00d

It seems it there's something more to it... and as the user explains... not everyone is able to perform certain steps (whatever those may be)... due to lack of "skills".

-http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=142631

13. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Of course there's something more to it. If I judged an app by its forum postings, I wouldn't run anything. Just hop on over to the Malwarebytes forum for example. :rolleyes:

+1 :thumb:

14. m00nbl00d

My comment meant to "say" that bugs will always exist, but certain bugs exist, perhaps, due to lack of testing before releasing XYZ version.

One thing is for minor glitches like UI problems, or components like LinkScanner to make web browsers crash, perhaps even due to some third-party conflict. Another thing is for bugs that completely kill the use of the system, due to bad coding... untested bad coding, I believe.

And, as I mentioned, one thing is for certain problems to exist due to some other third-party application. But, what has been happening to many AVG users has nothing to do with such situations. At least, that's my understanding from reading a few threads over there.

There was a recent situation with users of 64-bit version unable to boot their systems.

AVG really needs to get their act together. From version to version, they seem to be rushing each release. They didn't even listen to what their beta testers had to say and what was wrong, etc. They were more interested in stuff like the PC Analyzer... This tells a lot about a security vendor/software developer.

I still have a few relatives who have not had problems with AVG 9, and they'll stick with it. When I see a change is needed, it will be to something else they'll be OK dealing with... Certainly not with AVG 2011 if it keeps going like this.

I've never seen version 9 causing as much issues as version 10 (2011).

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO, AVG seems to be under pressure from top executives/shareholders to release products within a certain timeframe to meet market expectations for better sales. This is probably the sole reason for the buggy releases of new products, rather than other things.

AVG does sometimes have rather odd incompatibilities. I remember bugs on a friend's PC which completely disappeared when he changed the motherboard and processor (it was AVG 8, I believe).

I do hope things get sorted out at AVG fast.....I say this as a paid user. Even though I personally have not faced any problems in a long time, AVG does seem to be changing. AVG is the only really cost effective solution for me at this time. :doubt:

16. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I personally have no complaints whatsoever about the 2011 product line. Other than the freakin' annoying PC Analyzer, everything runs smoothly and trouble-free. No slowdowns, no crashes, no BSOD's. Tho, I've installed it on strictly pristine fresh OS installs, after installing all necessary drivers and fully patching the OS, of course.

17. m00nbl00d

Yeah, I've seen someone at AVG forums mentioning something like that, when beta version was being tested.

Obviously, this will reflect in AVG products not being properly tested, and being released with the major bugs it comes out with, causing the problems it causes for users.
    I wonder how long they will maintain their business if they keep it like that. (I'm not referring to the free versions, obviously. Well, could be bad for business as well, considering AVG LinkScanner (stand alone and AVG AV Free) does install Yahoo toolbar; unless something changed since I last tested it. So, the less users using AVG AV Free/LinkScanner will ultimately mean business loss for both AVG and Yahoo o_O... Maybe Yahoo could step in lol)

18. John Bull

Hello Firecat, may I just make a point.

I doubt if the Executives of AVG or any other commodity product company would dream of releasing their new product until it had officially passed all the critical testing that is necessary to ensure the best possible performance in the market place. It is more than a sales company dare do.

To release a product before it has been fully proven is to invite disaster. Poor performance in the market place always results in plummeting sales and a tarnished image. Once this happens, it takes many months or even years to regain customer confidence. Sometimes never.

No company can ensure their product is 100% by any amount of design and technical know-how, that is a practical impossibility. They have to accept as high a performance probability target as they can achieve and go for it. Any bugs remaining are corrected due to market feedback. This is the natural course of ALL products, without exception. NASA have the scars to prove it.

John

19. Firecat

I'm pretty confident about it since it was implied in a few press articles too. AVG is currently undergoing an expansion phase, the company is getting bigger. I just hope it turns out good in the end.

The AVG "Secure Search" toolbar now uses Google. This change occurred in one of the recent updates (build 1170?). There's even an announcement about it:

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/press-releases-news.ndi-197

That's one point of view. From what I gathered around the web, AVG tried to time the 2011 product launch to make it to market shelves during the time of "sale" and restocking, thereby giving their product a better chance of selling at retail. It was thought that an old product (AVG 9) wouldn't cut it given that the year was ending and others had already started announcing and selling their 2011 products. Thus, AVG just had to have the 2011 product out in order to compete (I guess the most retail sales are in the first month after product launch?). The strategy does make business sense when you look at it, but if you sacrifice quality, you're in for some trouble.....

(For what it's worth, it probably did increase their retail sales since a "2011" product is more likely to catch the eye with "people-powered protection" than the old "AVG 9" which would seem like 2009).

20. m00nbl00d

You do make a good point, but just like everything else, this is also a business. And, as every other business, if the wrong people are leading a company/enterprise, bad things will happen. It happens all the time, in different business areas. This is not any different.

It's not in vain that users at AVG forums say after lots of years, they are finally dropping AVG, due to all the problems that it has caused them. Something previous versions never did, not even close to such.

Maybe some users haven't felt any problems, but perhaps the % of those who have is bigger... and if it isn't, the damage such problems cause will also provoke problems to their (AVG) business.

I mean, it's only a forum for the people using their free AV. We don't know how many people, paying for AVG, were/are having those problems.

21. Firecat

This is a software company, and in the software industry time limits are a harsh reality almost everyone has to deal with.

Buggy software does get released a lot, to quote some examples that easily come to the head, the video gaming industry is one of the biggest affected victims. It is not so uncommon in the software industry.

Testing often has several levels under several different configurations. If a developer is in some hurry, he or she can choose to release a product after it has completed what I call "core" testing (i.e. no show-stopping bugs, the product is still usable despite annoying/irritating issues). Often, one could just test on some of the most commonly used computer configurations and find no issues at all. Thus, the software is in "saleable" state. Any other outstanding issues can be fixed via updates/patches (Note that AVG is one of the most well-known AVs in the world. Thus, there would be an amazing number of hardware/software combinations one would have to test with!)

However, they also have a market and its expectations to fulfil. Thus, the main issue is time to market vs. performance probability and that is often a difficult balance to strike.

(BTW, NASA being a research organization probably doesn't have to worry too much about markets :D)

I'm not trying to slam AVG here at all - I've been a happy user for five years now. I just hope they get everything ironed out.....

22. John Bull

THAT statement applies to everything man produces.
    All you say is an abundant portrayal of practical behaviour, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

But, software is no different to Coca-Cola in the hard selling environment of profitability, sales targets and market forces. - IT IS A CONSUMER PRODUCT. There is nothing special about software progress and the Big Sell.

So, fly in the face of established marketing and sales principles and what do you get ? If you win - you have cracked it all the way to the bank. If you lose - you have cracked it all the way to the scrap heap.

Let us leave it at that. We are way off-topic, it is not a marketing educational thread. ENDGAME. Back to AVG 2011.

John

23. m00nbl00d

Something odd... or not. Could anyone provide more info about it?

It seems latest version is 2011.1191 (avg_free_x86_all_2011_1191a3330.exe) -http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afh
    This version, according to the info provided, dates from December 27, 2010.

But, in the updates links it mentions this as well:

Windows x32: 1191 All necessary modules. January 8, 2011 103 MB

Are they different versions?

Thanks

24. Firecat

It probably means that the update was compiled in that format on January 8.

25. m00nbl00d

Hello again!

Only now it hit me; are you the same Kodl (-http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=141901#post_141901) o_O

It would be nice to have an AVG manager here. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.