AVG 9 Beta Is Out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I never have understood completely why the free version is so widely used, perhaps user loyalty from years past. It had a great reputation amongst free av users from years past that it still seems to cling to. It seems like most people that I come across that are newbies have not heard of Avast or Avira but they have heard of AVG. Whenever I have looked at AV Comparitives reports, it usually is in the middle to the bottom of the pack. It is a lot more bloated than it used to be. Version 7.5 I think was the last light version released. I think the fact that it used to be so light and free was a real plus for the product even though detection seemed average. Now it is slow and bloated, at least the last time I tried it out, and detection is still average. To answer your question: I think at this point in time it is yesterday's product. Perhaps that will change in the future. I have nothing against AVG, I am just giving my opinion.

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I agree i like ver. 7.5 but with out rootkit its not good. Avast 5.0 coming soon will be the most complete free AV around now having scheduled scans which is great.

3. progress

progress Guest

This thread is interesting:

And thank you also for the rootkit suggestion, it has been raised to the Product Management which is currently evaluating this addition for future version(s) of AVG Free. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.