AVG 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

This is exactly what I feel also! I read too many times, that people are tweaking/disabling modules to avoid slowdown.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Being able to do a custom install without the link scanner is better than no solution at all. AVG 8 is no worse feature wise than using 7.5 plus the Anti Spyware module is thrown in for free if you had a 7.5 Pro license. There is a lot of complaining here about nothing, and I suspect some of it is comming from fanboys of other AV's.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Most likely because they are receiving tons of mails these days and you have to wait your turn in line :D
    The launch of the popular AVG 8 caused a commotion :)

4. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

your wrong. AVG 8 was advertised to be more than 7.5 the link scanner is suppose to save you from heading to sites without running into theats. To sell it advertised that way with the way it's working is just short of fraud. No fanboy here. I had 7.5 &upgraded to 8. 8 is garbage as is & needs to be fixed not have a custom install to cut out features that made it more than 7.5. Read the thread, see the complaints, there's more here & not much from AVG as far as answers...

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

".....better then no solution at all."
    I don't think so. If you wish to settle for mediocrity that is your choice.
    I won't.
    ".....fanboys of other AV'S."
    If you read thru this thread, alot of the posters, myself included, use AVG and have licenses for AVG products.
    Version 8 just has to many bugs and should be a beta release.
    They just tried to add to much, to fast. :cool:

6. SimonC

SimonC Registered Member

I downloaded this version: http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=ais

from the main page and under custom install checked the firewall option. Maybe options are shown/not shown depending on serial number?

7. Big Apple

There's Avg Antivirus Pro and Avg Internet Security Suite. The suite has the firewall and the Avg Antivirus has not.....that's why!!!
    A lot of people seem to get mixed up and don't even know what program they're using.

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

7.5 will only be supported till the end of this year. I am a reseller for AVG products and until Grisoft fixes all these bugs I cannot sell it to my clients. I do not need more headaches.
    On XP it doesn't really have many problems
    On Vista it has a heapa problems

On both its warnings are mostly spyblaster 4.0 software blocks and i sent them my registry entries for this. This is something that has to be fixed between the makers of spyblaster and AVG because so many people use both .

I beta tested the suite and we tried to tell them all the problems. Many of us were having problems with the webshield and the links system. We did not have the toolbar to install in beta. That came out when they released the product to the public.

They basically ignored us and pushed the product out.
    But if you notice when new software comes out from any company, there are "kinks" to get out.

AVG Antivirus happens to be a great product. Hopefully they will get the kinds out real soon.

The fact that they are giving you an antivirus program with the antispyware I think is a great idea.

So Grisoft please if you are looking in here please fix your product or you will loose hundreds of good customers, including myself.

robin

9. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Actually there are 4

Avg 8 Pro= antivirus and antispyware
    AVG 8 Pro with firewall= antivirus, antispyware, firewall
    AVg 8 Internet Suite= this has all 3 and I believe one more
    AVG 8 Enterprise= all that Internet Suite has but more for a corporation on mutliple networks

10. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Yes that's true but since i didnt use linkscanner, or webshield with 7.5 pro i dont miss it.. webshield isnt ready for vista, i was getting alot of dc.. still curious to see how free turns out when its ready, anyhow i got 8 running fine with AS and other stuff better then 7.5 so im happy for now till it's fixed, im sure they will do program updates soon,but yes more testing on Vista :rolleyes:

11. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for your reply.
    At least we know the time frame now. :)
    I hope they take your comments into consideration.
    As far as the antispyware included, it is a good idea in most cases but I prefer SuperAntiSpyware and will continue to use it.
    This is my opinion only but I think it works better, scans faster, runs lite and uses a heck of a lot less ram as a running process. :cool:

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks for your post Robinb.

What about the two year license. Even if I am forced into AVG 8 by year end, I would still get the balance of the license for AVG 8 even if it is over 12 months. You think?? :doubt:

13. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

The new build didn't help a thing. AVG waas actually a good product, now it's just shitty. I have had to many problems with AVG 8. It hangs, it's slow, it hangs, it makes firefox unusable and it hangs.

It's not coming on my machine again in the nearest future.

14. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I have had no problems with it on XP
    I did not install the toolbar
    that creates a problem in both browsers- ie and firefox

In Vista Home Preimum the webshield doesn't work, Period!
    I cannot connect to the internet at all with it enabled.
    I reinstalled the program with a custom install and unchecked the webshield.

So far all is well but this really needs to be fixed big time.
    Other than webshield the program is actually a good one but something is terribly wrong with webshield and as we see here it is effecting many computers big time.

You should try reinstalling it as add/remove components within the program when you double click the exe and click on "custom" and uncheck webshield and do not allow the toolbar to install and see if that is better- at least till they fix it.

robin

robin

15. robinb

robinb Registered Member

yes you would because it picks up the old liscense and were it ends.

and hopefully soon they will get the kinks out

robin

16. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Ok I just got off the phone with Grisoft.
    Being a reseller I am entitled to Technical Support for all their products.
    Seems that hundreds are having problems with webshield on both xp and especially on Vista.
    Grisoft has assured me that they know there is a problem and working hard to figure out what is wrong. Webshield is a brand new component in AVG and in testing they did not see these problems, and plan in the next month or two to come up with an major update to fix the problem.
    The tech advised me to tell my customers because 7.5 is still being supported until the end of the year NOT to upgrade as of yet. Let them figure out what is causing these problems (especially in vista) with webshield, toolbar and link system.

That is another reason why you are not seeing in your update manager to upgrade yet.

Grisoft reassured me that they will figure out this problem and apologized for any problems I or others have but asked to just sit tight till they figure it all out.

I am betting they really did not realize these problems because inhouse they did not see them and since we beta tested the product and told them there was a big problem with webshield, they figured it must have been for just the bunch of us who tested it and pushed the product out anyway.

I have reinstalled the avg pro 8.0 with antivirus without the webshield until i see this upgrade, then i will reinstall it once it is fixed on my vista computer

robin

17. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I'm having problem with and without the webshield. So that is not the problem for me, which the major problem is where my computer hangs all the time. But then again, some problems was fixed when not installing the webshield. But even so, the program suck in this moment.

18. robinb

robinb Registered Member

is the problem in xp or vista? just curious

robin

19. Big Apple

Listen......Avg not having seen these problems in Vista is a load of bull, come off it. They didn't start building security software yesterday and I'm quite sure they have a couple of machines with Vista running in their kitchen!

20. mercurie

Thanks again Robinb. :thumb: I would be running the AVG 7.5 or 8 on XP.

It is a shame that they don't post the same thing you just did. There are hundreds who sniff around the Wilders AV threads. At least good folks like you do what you just did. :thumb:

21. Big Apple

And you believe the story Avg told Robinb, having not seen the problems with Vista?
    I can hardly believe you're serious.

22. mercurie

It makes no difference. It is always good to be polite. if that's what they told him and if I believe him... well it is good to be polite.

Did you see how many postings went by and no one even said a word about my questions. He answered both of my questions again it makes no difference if I believe him or not.

Actually to be honest I believe you are BOTH right. I beleive he talked to them and I believe what they told him is bull!! They screwed up and are working overtime to make it right, which is exactly why it would be best if they addressed us here in the forums directly. ;)

23. kodl

kodl Registered Member

Short note only. AVG 8 was tested in beta by thousands of beta testers. Some testers were reporting problems but were unable to explain why these happened, either because they were not able to replicate them or did not want to provide all the diagnostic logs. Sometimes (as is the case with BigApple here), the user is able to replicate always but we - in our testlabs - are not. Add the Vista bug (which requires users to install the hotfix from MS) and all of a sudden, many users complain about AVG8. Actually those, who have no problems, usually do not complain and post on Wilders ;)
    Anyway, we are working very hard to resolve some of the issues that we were able to replicate and namely things such as some firewall and WebShield issues should be solved (fingers crossed) in the upcoming build 87 (due March 18th). Please believe me that even with several thousand beta testers, some problems simply could not be discovered. I know that this is no excuse for those of you, who experience slowdowns or similar problems but I hope that you will accept this at least as an explanation.

24. kodl

kodl Registered Member

We do have couple of Vista machines - but unfortunately the issues that we have not discovered before the release were those that depend on individual configuration. Not all Vista installations are the same and it also depends on what other sw is installed on the machine. We also tested with SP1 - yet had to implement some fix just before release because the Release Candidate of SP1 has changed something that would broke AVG8 firewall component, if not fixed...

25. Big Apple

Thanks for the explanation and this works a lot better than just being silent! ;)
    Will install the new build for sure and hope it's better again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.