AVG 8 free and pc mag

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by david banner, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2291382,00.asp

AVG free got a good review at pc mag. any comments, seems really good. I have it on an old pc i am so fed up of the conflicts with kav and other security that i am considering this for my main quite new pc.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

reader reviews dont seem to be so good and i dont trust pc mage reviews anyways.

3. progress

progress Guest

AVG 8 rulez :-*

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's an extremely old review, and time has shown that not so many are well pleased with it. A combo of free Avira or Avast and a good free spyware on demand scanner like SuperAntiSpyware/Malwarebytes will prove exceptionally good.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

David, if you're seeking more info on AVG 8.0 Free, here's their User Manual and also their Installation File.

I use it but uninstalled the LinkScanner and WebSearch & Toolbar features, also configured the default settings so AVG does not do a full scan on boot nor check for updates automatically. This setup works for me but you could try a full installation on a new PC and see how it goes.

I second dw426's suggestion of adding Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware to your arsenal, no matter what AV you ultimately choose.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you think you're tired of conflicts with KAV wait until you start getting them with AVG. If you use Live messenger and it stops working, AVG is blocking it. I have had problems with that, and non-working internet, and then there was the false positive on Adobe Flash player, and too many things to mention in the last few weeks. We have ten 2 year paid licenses for the professional and network versions, and I can't bring myself to use if after it took two of my servers offline. Try it if you like, but if you want to go free, I would recommend one of the other Av's that start with "A". ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.