AVComparatives Single Tests Results

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mele20, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Even if someone disables the real-time monitor of BD, other processes are still active. And these cause conflicts with other applications. BitDefender strongly recommends to not use any other Anti-Malware application along with it, and they warn of conflicts happening if someone chooses to do so. And this includes On-Demand scanners like Spybot, and also tools like SpywareBlaster.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi ejames82:

You have some advice posted ahead of this reply. What I will say is a bit different based on my own experience with BD 10. I do have Spybot search and destroy used on demand without tea timer with no conflicts with BD10.

I have BD10 on right now along with SS 5.3, ZA Pro 7.0.377 and SpyBlaster.
    I do run on demand sophos from SS and I get no on line conflicts from any of them. Not that it helps due to it's current low detection rates. I then turn off sophos in SS.

BTW in the ZA Pro 7.0.377 thread I am reporting huge SS scan time degregration due to ZA Pro 7.0.377 "update"

I have found that vendors tend to say it won't work with other products a bit too quickly. So if you really want to try, it needs testing doesn't it?

What you never want to attempt is having the 2 BD10 and KAV actively running at the same time!

But still, you want to run a strong AV as on demand, you want to exploit the BD 10 so try the following:

1) Go off line, disable the internet connection (this is just for safety when closing off KAV.

2) Exit KAV and all other applications,

3) Take full backup of your whole PC at least anything that can't be found on a CD/DVD or USB stick.

4) Still off line install BD 10 from your disk, unclick every single one off it's special shields in ALL it's AV and ASW settings including the advanced settings, run a deep scan.

5) Go back on line, register BD and update it, and run it's 8 different scan types. When done exit BD.

6) Report your results back here for everyone who may be interested!

7) If the predicted conflicts occur, uninstall BD 10 and use their free BD8 which updates still or their online scan service as a substitute.

:cool: I did a test for you as follows in case you need to disable BD tasks

Exited BD10, 2 of it's 3 obvious processes remain in the task manager list,

bdagent.exe
    bdss.exe

I just used Task Manger to disable them. But these would remain as stated even when you are not using BD on demand unless you disable them each boot up which is a real pain.

That's it for now

3. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

firecat,
    can't processes be ended in the task manager?

escalader,
    there's alot there in your post to address. some of those steps, i have not performed in months. i would be asking for a lot of help. i feel uncomfortable, in that i don't want to be viewed as stealing the thread. i am going to start a new thread. i hope you, firecat, and anyone else contributes if possible.

everybody,
    is escan a product of CA? they fare extremely well according to www.virus.gr. sophos and trendmicro, not so good.

thanks for the replies, firecat and escalader.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

True.
    That's why I said "it's the same maybe" before :D

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

eScan is powered by Kaspersky AV engine :thumb:

6. Firecat

But having a lot less features, and lacks a quarantine. I do not know what exactly is the problem with implementing a full-time quarantine, but if they didn't listen back in 2004, I highly doubt they will today.

Detection rates are the same as KAV with extended databases though, and I believe it uses the 6.0 engine currently.

7. Escalader

Ah, yes true, we agreed! Just wanted to add (poorly it seems) what the consequences are for the vendor at least for this user!

Cheers

8. Escalader

No problem helping you. Send me your link to the new thread so I don't miss it!

9. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

escalader,
    it's right here at wilders security forums>security software>other antivirus software>kaspersky real-time AV, BD10 on-demand. possible?
    thanks.

10. Firecat

With regards to these single tests, it is important to know that the test report of Sophos Anti-Virus has now been removed from the AV-comparatives site.

There is nothing in the weblog about why it was removed, but I'm sure many of us will appreciate an answer. Did Sophos not like the result?

11. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

IBK will probably give the answer but yeah, I also think the reason for this is because Sophos does not like the result.

Will TrendMicro get the missed samples since it did score 85% or higher?

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hmmm...so a vendor who doesn't like the results can just demand that the results be removed from the website and that is that? That doesn't sound right. If Sophos asked for testing then the results should stay. Rather a bad precedent isn't it if a vendor can demand removal of results they don't like?

So, I'm all ears for IBK's explanation. I hope I'm all wrong.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Same thing happened in the av-comparatives Anti-Trojan Test of March, 2006; TrojanHunter had their poor results pulled. Although, in contrast to the AV's he tests, Andreas did not have written permission from TH to publish the results.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I assumed he had written permission to publish the results. If so, then how can Sophos demand the results be removed? Maybe there is perfectly benign explanation for them not being there that we are not aware of. Where is IBK?

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

This happens when tests are done without the permission to publish the results. To avoid legal problems or similar, its easier to remove the report. Anyway, you all know that it scores under 85%. I will keep testing only home user products and with permission of the vendors. Please note that also the other 2 vendors have not give any permission to test, but so far no one complained.
    TrendMicro scored 87%, but they had 2 months more time to add signatures.
    When I have written permission, results remain in any case. Should someone make anyway problems, it will be noted and the vendor excluded from future tests (to do not waste again time for nothing, as main goal is to inform peoples).

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ahh..thanks for the explanation. Yes, we all know that Sophos did poorly so it doesn't really matter if the results stay there on the site or not. We really appreciate your testing these three and that is what matters.

17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Panda (and also TrendMicro) will participate normally in the regular tests of 2008.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Egads. :oops: I think it is time for some sleep. I knew Panda wasn't tested. Why I said "Panda" and persisted over more than one post in saying "Panda" when I meant "Sophos" I don't know. Sorry. I'll edit my earlier posts.

19. btman

btman Registered Member

2k8? We're barely in 2007! I mean its great news that they'll participate... But a year to see their results... :(

20. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I wonder if Panda and TrendMicro will actually pass. I think both their detection rates have declined since they have last participated. (TrendMicro had extra time to add signatures and only got 87%.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Yeah, the exact reason why i showed BD the door out. Sorry but will never trust a single product to cover all the bases no matter how high the claims or rate of successful coverage. Theres just too much at stake when it comes to protecting your computer and it's properties, not to apply some reasonable form of layered approach that is 100% compatible with most if not ALL other anti-spyware/AV apps & resident monitoring.

KasperskyIS6 is done magnificient in the compatibility department with various other security apps and i yet to experience a single issue conflicting with just one of the programs listed below in my signature when running together.

22. Escalader

Regarding possible conflicts (see my software signature)

IMHO vendors say don't use other products with their's a bit too quickly. It is not surprising, they don't want us using the completion and they certainly don't want to "invest" technical effort figuring out how to make it possible.

That said conflicts can occur, but in my case anyway I can manage them. This is one of the jobs you have to do in a mix and match strategy. If not a suite is a simpler strategy, not my choice but simpler.

I use BD 10 and SS 5.3 at the same time with no crashes.

On the SS FAQ web page they say that their product CAN work with BD 10. This matches what I am experiencing in practice.

To minimize possible conflict I made a list of the shields and just enable 1 if both products provide that shield. For example both offer cookie control. So I turn off BD in favor of SS's. (it's older!)

I disable AV on SS. I disable ASW on ZA pro. All 3 of my mainline security tools are what one might call semi-suites in that they have these add ons.

In ZA I disable email scanning in and out in favour of BD 10. ZA's scanner for SW is weak anyway.

Again you would not want to have 2 dualing AV's like BD and Kav since the use of 2 AV's is a well know no no.

I do use Spyblaster with no trouble in spite of what BD says.

I think I'll sign up on new BD user forum and see what others are doing/learning/ saying over there.

Maybe I'm the only guy with these 3 working together on the planet!

I know one other user here who is doing exactly what I am only using NOD32 in place of BD. :)

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

"SS" 5.3? What is that?

24. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

SS=Spy Sweeper

25. Escalader

Too many short forms, added translations to my signature for this and future posts. Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.