Avast5 + Comodo Firewall w/Defense+

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by luciddream, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Any problems with this combo? I didn't want to hijack Mozart's thread, which got me thinking.

Also... I heard about possible conflicts with Avast5 and XP OS. Anybody have anything to offer regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I have no problems with this combo.In fact,for me is the ideal combo,because i've tried to run Avast! with Outpost pro,and the web surfing is a bit slower,and with OA pro my laptop become very slow responding,and i've had a few BSODs...
    Oh,OS Win7 ultimate 32

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  3. timeless52

timeless52 Registered Member

I have employed this combo (Avast5 / CIS 3.14) on both XP x64 and XP SP3 setups with no problems other than Avast5 causes CIS to write new registry entries with each engine/definitions update. Most of these can be safely deleted as they refer to refer to files that no longer exist. Since installing Avast5, I have removed at least 2000 Comodo related entries from the XP x64 registry. If you have a good registry utility, search for avast.setup and SF.bin. Since this is kind of a PITA, I have migrated to OA Free 4.0.0.35 on my XP SP3 system. I'm still looking for another XP x64 FW/HIPS solution.

This combo also generates numerous CIS pop up notifications due to the transient avast.setup file downloaded with each update. These can be resolved by configuring the Defense+ module.

4. mmatt

mmatt Registered Member

I prefer CIS + Avira

5. JoeBlack40

The OP was asking about Avast and Comodo,not about the possible combination with another AV.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, no conflicts that I'd hit, however my big technical beef w/ Comodo is that they are storing pretty much everything into the registry. Enormous clutter accumulates really quickly and the thing gets slooower and slooooooower. Sucks.

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm running the Comodo 4 firewall/Avast 5 combo on Win7 64 bit. It's running very nicely, but I didn't know about the Comodo registry thing. Might have to re-think Comodo, and go with OA, since I do have an OA license.

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well... in a brief: every time you add/modify/delete a rule, an entire registry branch is rewritten by Comodo. Depending on your modus operandi, you can very well reach several MBs in quite a short time. As you can imagine, merging MBs-worth of stuff into registry tends to be quite slow. Even on fast machines.

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks doktornotor. Very informative for me, and maybe others out there that didn't know about this.

10. JoeBlack40

I didn't know that too....:D
    Uninstalled Comodo,and give Outpost pro a go.After a clean up,with Wise Disc cleaner,CC cleaner and JvPower tools registry cleaner....hmmm...well,i must admit that my laptop is more responsive.And an odd thing,but in the good way...now,i can use MBAM's web blocking real time without the usual slowdown of the browsers..with Comodo installed,was not an option.
    Yeah,thanks doktornotor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.