avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Many users here must be using Avast paid .Could they please tell me if they use their web browsers sandboxed all the time .If so what browser and what settings have they ticked,thanks

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

When i had AIS, i was not using browser sandbxed all the time. I've only used SafeZone when purchasing stuff online.

But in general, sandbox is by default (well, at least it used to be) set to allow browsers to store their data locally (downloads, extensions etc), but were not allowed to run everything else outside of it. This wasn't exactly a malware protection but was more of an exploit protection because you could still run downloads you did yourself outside sandbox but if browser tried to run something directly via exploit it remained sandboxed.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I found the Avast sandbox to be nothing but trouble. In fact Firefox and Chrome would not run sandboxed.
    I use the SafeZone if I do any financial transactions, but normally no sandbox.

I am likely to go to KIS when my license runs out. See my sig.

Jerry

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

When i was using avast! Sandbox it worked perfectly fine. From what i've seen it offers even more settings now than it did before.

5. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I use AIS and have had no problems using Chrome sandboxed but mainly used the Safe Zone when banking. Seldom ran the browser sandboxed.

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Unfortunately...had nothing but problems with the Avast sandboxing...with both firefox and chrome...and as i've mentioned in previous posts I couldn't properly uninstall Avast sandbox component...the uninstaller froze completely...forcing me to system restore. And while trying Beta 3...the outlook/avast firewall plugin...was buggy leaving me without a proper firewall/install...the only app that seems to work properly is Sandboxie...since that seems too be their area and app of specialization. Sincerely...Securon

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And why did you go System Restore when that is the worst possible option to manipulate something while it's in mid state.

8. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! RejZor...what solution would you recommend...to bypass the uninstaller mid state glitch? Sincerely...Securon

9. waters

waters Registered Member

Avast does not have virtual keyboard the same as some others ,is that less protection against keyloggers

10. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

Maybe dont't need it.

11. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

avast! SafeZone™ is...
    New private, secure, and isolated desktop
    Recommended for sensitive online operations – shopping, banking, and providing personal information
    Immune to keyloggers, screen captures, and other malware
    One-click deletion of activity log in the SafeZone™ (browsing history, passwords, etc.)

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Avast safezone.
    What is the difference between this and lets say for example sandboxie which achieves the same..That is isolates the browser.
    I find it rather bizarre that security companies are employing different terms for what is fundamentally the same thing and that is isolating the browser.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am trying to remember whether or not you can print from SafeZone? I don't want to start the machine to see if I can. The last time I tried you couldn't.
    Jerry

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I disagree. It's not only a "term" it's also a trademark in Avast. I mean they need to have their own name of the function because I doubt Avast Safezone and BitDefender Safepay is identical in every singel way.

It's easier both for the customer and the vendor. It's impossible that all the vendors use the same name.

That's like saying Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox should share the same name. They are all web browser with different names. :D

15. The Red Moon

Well whatever terms or different adjectives you wish to employ the same basic principal applies and that is isolation and virtualization.
    Some of them just use different make up on the same face.:cautious:

16. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I would like to see someone test the various "safe-zone" type protections...KIS has "safe money", Avast "safe-zone", Bitdefenders "safepay" etc. And possibly that has been attempted but probably when there were only 1 or 2 systems like that. Of course, trjam is the only person I know with enough money that it needs protecting!:D

17. The Red Moon

Safe zone.
    Safe money.
    Safe pay.
    Full of slogans that the mind boggles.
    Anyway what ever you wish to name it and cut it the underlying principal is exactly the same and that is isolationism.
    Oddly some of these security companies are actually using this very principal and trade-marking it as their own creation when of course we all know better than this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.