Avast! VS AVG(Free Editions)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Metal425, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

I already know and have an Anti Virus I use.
    I just want to stir some fire up between these two Free AV's.
    So let the heat start!

~Matt~

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

for the free versions,

easily avast, apart from a script blocker (which you can get from firefox/opera) you dont lose any security over the paid version.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Avast for sure!

4. btman

btman Registered Member

If AVG and Ewido get up to over 90% detection on AV-Comparatives.... Just imagine what Avast and Ewido would get.

So yes easily Avast, if people don't want to pay for an AV I give them either Avira or Avast... Depending if they're dangerous surfers, or lazy ones (Avast does like everything for you)

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've used Avast, the older version of AVG, and Avira over a year ago.
    Avast behaves the best, and we get on well.
    A keeper!

6. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Does Avast cover your e-mail inbox.

7. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

you stirrer you,
    Avast of course, wins hands down.

although I was tempted to say the other one just to ad some fuel to your fire :D

yep

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It has seven real time scanners, as far as i can remember

E-mail scanner
    pop3 mail scanner
    p2p scanner
    HTTP/ web scanner
    Network scanner
    Disk read/ write( standrad scanner)
    IM ( messengers) scanner

and no troubles mostly. Isn,t it graet?

I am not using it, so I will expect some user to correct this list.

9. strangequark

this is from the avast web site about email, if you want to read everything it covers here's the link http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

and you can get skins for it as well :cool:

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Or u can remove the default skin of it as well, just a nude AV.:D

11. strangequark

it's a pitty us hamo sopiens can't swap our skins, as a species we're pretty bland really, what I wouldn't give for a prehensile tail :shifty:

12. Jimpdx

Jimpdx Registered Member

I'm a happy Avast Home user, but I feel compelled to mention in AVG's defense that it's a better choice for older, resource-challenged machines than Avast. AVG's RAM usage is negligible compared to just about anything else!

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

totally agree jimpdx,

avg is super light on pc performance, and very user-friendly to use, especially when compared to avast,

avast is light-ish too though, but for the free versions, id choose avast for its feature-set, however for paid versions, id still choose AVG anti-malware/Suite over avast pro.

14. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

avast! has superior features, more real-time scanners, and prettier skins, but I'd just like to say that the reason we use antivirus software is for protection, not for how many fancy features it has. Here's the VT scan results for Grum, an ItW file infector virus that was first detected on March 12th, IIRC.

http://www.kaspersky.com/viruswatchlite?search_virus=grum&x=0&y=0&hour_offset=5.5

Would you trust a company with such a negligent attitude to new and emerging malware? It's up to you. Keep in mind that I know no virus scanner is perfect, but I'm using this example because I know Alwil definitely has a copy of this malware in their hands.

Prevx info: http://fileinfo.prevx.com/fileinfo.asp?PXC=c9a385855469

VirusTotal results removed per this post. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=818225&postcount=2

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2007
  15. nowshining

nowshining Registered Member

AVG as Avast is a resource hog, but both are stupid when first installed, by that i mean that both only scan virus infectable files and that's it, for best protection from either, go into the settings and make sure ALL files are scanned, both in realtime and in manual scannings...

Anyway so far AVG caught every infection or just about (right clicked and scanned zip file, exe file, etc.. before clicking on it...) on downloading on frostwire, I do have portable clamwin, it said that some files were trojan horses, however that was in a tank back to back shooting game and only in the wav files, i let (configured) it to delete/clean the infections, it did and I still get sound, I am keeping the game however since it is not infectious until further notice, I will not re-share it and i am keeping it since it didn't do harm to me, and the trojans had no effect, heck I still have it installed, :) but anyway no other scanner I have on me or my portable flash drive ever caught the really bad worm, trojan types, altho they do catch except avg free a process killer for smitremove program I found off hjt log post and such, however so far good with the tools I HAVE, I have processguard - free, avg free, SMSS free - avg antispyware -full, now antilove protection I hope from f-secure I need my fears to weaken, i did download from f-secure.com and their tools, It might just be me, anyway I also got a2antidialer - free, spywareguard - free, spywareblaster - free, and lots more protection on my flash drive, hehehe.. :) so far CLEAN SYSTEM..oh yeah and I do use my common sense 99% of the time which is 75% effective of protecting me.. :D

EDIT: the post before me is right, and by the way I have sent exe files that AVG didn't detect from spam and within at least an hour, its ready for download, at times a download can range from .9 kb to 6mb, the higher the size-that means that it might just be to update the scanner engine, etc... since avg free gives me the best protection I won't pirate the serial key off of frostwire for the pro version...that's how good it is..

EDIT: head just came into itself, I am considering it safe.. as in it it is the antifun thing..i was typing earlier.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  16. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

I use KAV6, but I'm testing Avast!

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

VT results are not so reliable, so u can,t be sure.

18. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I have avast! on my second laptop. No detection. Grum isn't the only one; I have ItW samples dating back up to as long as 4 months that Alwil has yet to add detection for.

19. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

To be honest, a lot of people in this thread underestimate AVG. Let me inform you that in many of my malware collections, even with AVG Anti-Malware, the Ewido engine makes a relatively small difference in detection rates. I would say that the Ewido engine contributes for 3-4 extra percentage in detection rates, and I will say with a certain confidence that Avast+Ewido will at best be only slightly (i.e.~1%) better than AVG. :)

IMO I would recommend both, but I favour AVG. :)

20. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I like avast! because of it's flawless updating, changeable interface, ease of use and the fact that when I've used it I've never had any problems installing, running or uninstalling.

However, I do repeatedly find what solcroft has mentioned above, I submit malware samples daily to AV vendors (some of them new and active ITW like the one above in solcrofts post) and avast! is one of the slowest to add them (if they add them at all). But, Avast! always seems to do better than AVG in av-comparatives (maybe IBK could shed some light on this - do they add loads of old sigs before a test?).

If avast! improved it's signature adding of submitted threats, it would for me be the better choice, but one man's meat is another man's poison - at the end of the day you should try them both and make your own choice.

Londonbeat

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s too bad. As I know there is someone from them here on the forums( don,t remember the name). Will be interesting to see if he can comment.

Seems AVG is making great progress.

22. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Avast! is much better...

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Its definitely better, but I wouldn't say much better. :)

@aigle: The member from Avast! team on Wilders is vlk, I think.

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I very much like AVG. Avast is ok too, but I prefer AVG. It's light and tight.
    Mrk

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya thanks, I remember now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.