Avast streaming updates.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Red Moon, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi,
    Is avast,s streaming updates supposed to run continuously.?
    Ive noticed mine stop occasionally.
    Thanks.

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I think the default is every 60 minutes the virus definitions get checked.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Afaik the "streaming updates" service is different than the normal definitions update that happen 1-3 times per day, streaming updates should happen more often than once per hour I think, like every 15min or there about :doubt:

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

What does it update :rolleyes:

5. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

i have them turned off. Once a day is good enough. All cloud functions off too.

6. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Sorry but this doesn't make much sense. Both streaming updates and the cloud features are absolutely vital for the product - without them, the level of protection drops significantly.

Thanks
    Vlk

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Avast Updates in the last 24 hrs = 130
    Avast average number of updates in the last 8 weeks = 88-98/day

http://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/updates/#compare-products

8. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Second weekend in a row of "Connection not established." Anywhere from 30-50 hours down depending on location. Normal VPS updates every 12 hours are OK, tho.
    -http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=840fkvrfs34vdt2crf567tjdg0&topic=120620.0
    -http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=840fkvrfs34vdt2crf567tjdg0&topic=119860.0
    As one user pointed out, it's not just about updates but their Cloud Intelligence, offering "several hybrid cloud technologies." Good point.

9. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Basically, you are running avast! 5.0 without FileRep / streaming updates.

10. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I think streaming updates are having issues again. I haven't had cloud connectivity since about 2am yesterday morning and no updates through the cloud.

what say you vlk?

11. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I'm also having problems with all cloud services, this is the second weekend I've had no connection established. As VLK said these services are vital so what gives?

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Good example on how users can kill AV products and its protection without even knowing it. :)

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There are connection hiccups sometimes. All AV's have them here and there.

The point is, Streaming Updates are NOT initiated by the user client but by the servers. So there aren't any update check intervals. When avast! virus lab guys decide to release something, users pretty much instantly get that because the server sends "boink" signal to your client which then downloads the updates.
    Similar like you call your friend for a ring or two if you don't have enough money on pre-paid phone and then he calls you back. Similar approach.

And all the streaming updates are integrated into regular updates that are released twice a day. So you don't really miss out anything, it's just that with Streaming Updates, you get them much quicker, which is crucial for outbreaks that are happening constantly these days.

And i wouldn't disable Reputation Services. Without them, you basically have no protection against files that are malware but don't have definitions, yet they are so new that it would be picked up by FileRep. And you also cripple Auto Sandbox capabilities with this. So really, don't disable these things if you don't understand them properly and correctly.

14. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Being the 2nd weekend in a row, I am concerned about Avast protection. How impaired do you think Avast is when this streaming updates are not working?

Also, will this is only affect signature detection or would zero-day protection also be reduced?

15. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Let us assume for a moment that the user cannot allow unrestricted automated cloud reports/queries. However, they might consider selective, only those explicitly approved by the user reports/queries. If the client software issued at least one cloud report/query for every file that does not match a local database of malware signatures, there could be a large number of events that require review. However, if there were an auto-updated client-side "reputation cache"... even if it were limited to highly popular software... that could reduce the number of reports/queries that require user intervention. There are probably some other approaches which could be used to tune things. For example, setting up "cloud reports/queries exclusion list" for those files signed by internal or otherwise trusted developers. Shell integration that allows a user to right click launch an explicit cloud reputation query. Things like that.

Does Avast 8 have those and/or other features that would allow someone to strike the compromise that is appropriate for them?

16. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Guys,streaming update server seems to be back online for me.

17. fax

fax Registered Member

All's well that ends well :)

18. ZeroDay

My streaming updates still keep switching on and off, their off at the moment.

19. The Red Moon

And there was much ado about nothing.:D

20. The Red Moon

I have gone back to comodo as avast was interfering with my network connection.

21. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Streaming updates seem to be working now for me as well. A glitch in the matrix? :D

22. ZeroDay

If I keep loosing connection to Avasts online services I'll switch to something else too. I wouldn't mind loosing connection to online services, but avast 8 relies heavily on it's cloud services and without them the users looses a huge chunk of protection.

23. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Also, as for avast! Comodo's cloud also got its problems ... An "unknown file" trusted (cloud lookup issue) or malware trusted (what we call trusted malware sample in Comodo).
    I was seeing tons of cases like that each weeks while testing CIS.
    http://forums.comodo.com/av-false-p...alware-here2013-no-live-malware-t89869.0.html

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Then you'd like MSE who updates once a day so I'm told.

25. The Red Moon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.