avast is flipping out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Page42, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Many people disable them,-airbags.

If you've ever seen an airbag go off and see the results of an airbag exploding in your face,you'd understand why people disable them.

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

For me, I don't have the expertise or time to do much trouble shooting and correcting of an AV and the consequences incurred.

If I remember correctly when Kaspersky V8 came out there were a fair number of problems. I was using it, and ditched it. Months later when things smoothed out I installed it and have been using it until the last AVC tests.

If I had been using Avast and this debacle happened I would ditch it for a long while until I was convinced all was running smoothly.
    I just don't want to go through the irritation of a "malfunctioning" application.
    That is so even if it has been an excellent AV, which it has.

Not the best analogy, but if a Surgeon operated on one of my children and the child died or suffered permanent damage as a result of incompetent surgery, I would not trust him again even if he was considered the world's best.
    What I am saying is that some may have lost confidence in the developers of Avast. I have. At some point that confidence can be restored, but not before experience confirms their competency. How long that takes depends upon the individual, and also if one had gone to another AV he may like it so well he never returns to Avast.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Excellent post!

Fact is, in my family,everyone who was using Avast,now are using another antivirus,because of this recent issue.

4. Get

Get Registered Member

Ditching Avast because it had one (1) bad update? o_O Hm, a bit radical for my taste. I missed that update, but even if I had it I wouldn't ditch it. For someone who doesn't recognise a FP I understand it will be different, but then again you can wait for the next (the next update has just arrived.. the thrill alone makes it worthwile :ninja: ) AV you use to make a mistake and then ditch that again etc etc...

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Hey,it wasn't my idea,people who arent computer tech savy,tend to panic more,I just heard about it is all :argh:

6. Get

Get Registered Member

I understand. It wasn't an "attack". Just an opinion :) .

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

One word:
    Backups.

An AV (or any other program) having a "nutty spell" is just one way that data can be lost. Chasing AV's to find one that will never do it is a chimera.
    And if you do find the "perfect software", it is at that point that the HD will fail. Or the power supply start playing silly bu@@ers.
    Or someone breaks into the house and steals the dog, the tv, the 'pooter etc...

Imaging onto an external drive, burning pics and other important files to cd/dvd works for me.

I bet all the happy Avast users will be taking an increased interest in backups, now, which should have been the case all along, of course.

8. progress

progress Guest

I don't know anybody but I'm living in Europe ...

What are they running now? :)

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

From what I was told-MSE

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So, what will you be using when MSE screws up? Norton? Wait, they already did this. McAfee? Eeee, they did it also. Trend Micro? Uhuhu, they too. Kaspersky? What? Yes, they did it too. AVIRA also did as far as i remember and same goes for AVG. And there are others were perfectly normal update caused systems to brick. Ppl just don't know it till it happens to them specifically and then all hell breaks loose. Because of one false positive, even in such larger scale. Anyone ever wondered why avast! recommends "Move to Chest" by default? Or runs in this mode when Silent Mode is enabled. Or avast! 5.0 doing that out of the box? Because you can restore stuff if something is not right.
    Ppl should just get over it. And with updating like in MSE, i wouldn't want to use that at all. I'd rather have one such false positive than signatures not updated for several days just because updater part is fubared. Yep, that's MSE... Just a thought for all the ppl running away from avast! like there is no tommorow...

11. 031

031 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

12. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Mentioning Kaspersky and major problems some might remember this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18608452-Kaspersky-You-lost-me-at-ISwift

This was only one of many threads in regards the problem including long running threads in Wilders. Doubt that this put too many people off.

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Okay, I think we've beat this one to death...

Avast had a false positive issue which is now fixed. Several other AV vendors have had the same problem in the past. In their time, they were discussed at length here, much like this thread. Then it came time to move on to the next hot topic. That time is now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.