Avast Internet Security problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 17viper17, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 17viper17

17viper17 Registered Member

HI, I have installed Avast Internet Security on a Windows XP Pro Sp3. Problem is whenever I open "My Computer" there is a noticeable 5 second delay before it shows the icons (i.e. hard drive, cd/dvd drives). I tried Avast 5 Free Edition and doesn't have this problem. Anyone with Avast IS experiencing this? Thanks!

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

do you have the pup turned on? this is the one thing i have read that was causing this as this time. under file system shield, expert settings, sensitivity is where it is. just curious. though its literally instant for me.

also try turning off each shield one by one to see if its one specific one causing the issue.

3. 17viper17

I don't have PUP turned on. I also followed your instructions in turning off each shield one by one until I ended up turning all of them off, but still the 5 second delay when opening up "My Computer" remains. I've uninstalled Avast IS and things were back to normal (no delay when opening "My Computer"). Just really curious (and a bit annoyed) at what shield/service is causing this, especially considering this is not an issue with Avast5 Free Edition.

4. zfactor

did you try a reinstall? and what av did you have before sometimes they leave stuff behind that can interfere with the new av

5. 17viper17

Hi Sir. As a matter of fact, I reformatted my PC and did a fresh install of Avast Free. Did the same before I installed Avast IS and Avast Pro. It may be a small inconvenience but still I don't find it normal. Right now I'm stuck with the free version until I get a clear idea what's causing this and of course getting a fix for the problem. Thanks for your replies, appreciate them!

6. zfactor

so the free version works okay then? has to be something either with the firewall, bblocker, or sandbox then. one thing you could do is trying installing is5 without those by doing a custom install. if all is okay use the "change" option in add remove programs to add one option at a time and see what happens. you may be able to pinpoint it then instead of just turning off one shield at a time. this way they are not even installed till you add them

7. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

If the Pro version worked alright without any slowdowns then the most obvious culprit is the firewall. Just a tip- Maybe you should look into getting a drive imaging program if you are gonna reformat your PC everytime you uninstall something. Save you a lot of time

8. zfactor

lol i was just thinking that and was going to post it about the image program..

he did say the free version so it could be a couple things but as you i thought firewall at first also

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Just a FYI. I was using avast 5 pro and I thought that it was slowing down my browsing. I was using firefox with what I thought was a few add-ons. After I uninstalled a couple of add-ons that I wasn't using, things were alot quicker. I had always wondered why chrome worked alot quicker.

10. 17viper17

Thanks for the advice, especially with the disk image thingy. For whatever it's worth, I installed Avast IS on another computer (same XP Pro Sp3 OS) and the same annoyance exists. BTW, the Pro version gives the same symptoms. Having said all that, I guess I'm really stuck with the Free version for now. Last note, I've posted the same problem on the Avast forums but haven't gotten any replies as of yet. Thanks all for your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.