Avast and Webshield Module incompatability?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pyro, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyro

pyro Registered Member

Guys, help me out...

I downloaded avast and a screen pops up saying that the Webshield Module has compatability problems with Zone Alarm's privacy blocking features.

Do yu want to disable the Webshield transparent proxy mode? Select No only if you are not uzing ZA's privacy blocking features or have been using avast 4.6 with ZA without any problems...

Since both dont apply, i selected Yes....

Now, ZA is not detecting avast Antivirus

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/pyrotalk/zonealarm.jpg

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

ZoneAlarm is not detecting avast! from the beginning (when ZoneLabs introducted this AV monitoring). I can't say more than go bug ZoneLabs about this. They appear to be so damn lazy that they don't impliment monitoring for AVs other than Norton,McAfee and probably some other big fish.
    Anyway,you can use Windows Security Center instead and forget about this feature in ZA. Oh,Web Shield has nothing to do with this "incompatibility"...

3. pyro

pyro Registered Member

I decided not to upgrade to SP2....
    About webshield....Since i disabled the webshield proxy mode, does it affect Avast in any way?? I like to make use of all of its potential...

Will the instructions in here, enable it back on?
    http://www.avast.com/eng/i_use_win98/me_and_web_shield_do2.html

The video instructions are confusing, it seems that this instructions are to turn it off which i have already done so by clicking yes.....

Oh, so it doesnt matter whether ZA detects it or not........Both programs will keep performing well as intended....

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No the video is not confusing. Transparent mode works as name says transparently. If you disable this you HAVE to set those settings in your browser,otherwise Web Shield won't scan anything.
    Also with transparent mode you can use Power Mode using my tweak tool avast! External Control. This is the main benefit from using transparent mode.

5. pyro

pyro Registered Member

Rejzor

What's the difference btw both instructions?

Start Internet Explorer.
    Select Tools ® Internet Options... from the main menu.
    Switch to page Connections.
    Click on the LAN Settings... button.
    Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN
    Write localhost into the Address field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
    Enter 12080 into the Port field.
    Confirm with OK button.

and this

Click on the avast (a) taskbar icon
    Select Webshield
    Click customize
    Redirect HTTP port(s): 80

Do i need to do both?

I am using IE, WinXP.....

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

First instructions are for non-transparent Web Shield mode,while second settings are for transparent mode (port 80 by default).

7. pyro

pyro Registered Member

Stupid question: WinXP, SP1 doesnt have a proxyo_O

Why would anyone choose the non-transparent mode with IE? unless they prefer to use another AV...
    What's this tweak tool avast and power mode? I cant seem to find it...

thanks

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't understand what do you mean exactly...

If you want to use native transparent mode for Web Shield and Internet Mail providers you need Windows 2000 or XP regardless of service packs installed.

If you use Windows 98/Me you can only use this non-transparent mode.
    Same applies when you use ZoneAlarm and you select not to use transparent mode.

avast! External Control is my tweak tool for avast!. You can get it from www.excessive-software.eu.tt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.