Avast! 8 Beta?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

It feels like a while since version 7 came out. Is version 8 going to enter beta soon?

I also heard it will have a Metro interface. Is that true?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't think the beta will happen this year. Final release is set to February 2013 (it's the same every year) so the public beta will most probably begin in January 2013.

As for the Metro, i highly doubt it. avast! never jumped the bandwagon of big icons or now the Metro style. They might pick parts of it as an inspiration and the feel, but it will esentially still be what it is now.

3. Brandonn2010

Ok, good to hear. I think AVG made a mistake changing its interface like that.

4. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Brandonn...are you getting itchy? :D

5. Brandonn2010

I like it when new major versions of products are released.

6. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. gery

gery Registered Member

AVG best interface was the 7.5 one . Since than meh :thumbd:

8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Well if you tell me, version-7 hasn't come out of beta yet. :)

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry but thats nonsense statement...

10. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Problems arise. I stopped using AIS 6 on 1-only PC for a couple of months last year due to regular BSODs. But right now I can count just under 50 machines I know of with avast! 7.0.1426 or 7.0.1466, covering Windows XP through to 7, all absolutely rock-solid and trouble-free.

11. epsir19

epsir19 Registered Member

12. jebus

jebus Guest

AVAST 8 seem to be there

seem there is avast 8 now available but no is version? anyone knows when its comming?

xttp://files.avast.com/test5beta/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  13. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Re: AVAST 8 seem to be there

Closed beta > Public Beta > Release

My guess is Spring 2013 (March or April)

14. jebus

jebus Guest

15. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

16. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Re: AVAST 8 seem to be there

Unless you see different it clearly states 7.0.1472.
    As i said previous avast! 8 is at least 2-3 months away.

17. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

God forbid! Already i can't use AVG Free because of its hideous Metro style. If Avast joins it in this abomination, it will be total disaster!

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just hope they don't add any more features/bloat. :p

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Too late for that.... :)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's not a metro i can tell you that. It is slightly inspired by it but doesn't look like it and they didn't go to such extreme as AVG did. However i'm a bit unsure of it's functionality as it is now. On one end it feels oversimplified and on the other too cluttered. A typical problem when vendors try to make the interface easy to use but want to stuff everything in it. CIS 6 has the very same problem. Front end is stuffed with big useless elements to make it look like its easy to use. But as soon as you want to do anything, you have to dig through bunch of layers just to get one simple feature.

If you want to go simple you have to start there to begin with. Like Panda Cloud for example. It has some features and settings but in a nutshell it's very basic and you can't really fiddle with it much. That's why it works. But i have great doubts that it will work in avast!. The new shields page just looks and feels wrong, main menu feels awkward if you want to do anything with it.

You'll see what i mean once it goes public, for now it's still a closed beta limited to Evangelists. Unless they'll drastically change it for public beta...

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

there are some pics floating around as this has been leaked out around places as reported on the avast forum. i actually like the interface as said above its not totally metro based but very clean and i actually like it better than the previous gui if the pics i saw were correct, i did find it around and will load it up to test it out to see what it really looks like. seems an avast beta tester decided to leak it out there...

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Someone with lack of morale and lack of understanding what a closed beta means...

Public beta will be released soon (probably next week), you'll have a chance to properly test it then. I don't recommend the leaked version as it's very buggy because it's what it is, a closed pre-beta meant for closed group of experts.

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know its prob very buggy i just want to verify the pics i saw. i will not post them but as i said they are out there. ill just make a image load it up to look at then restore the previous image. im curious as to if the pics i saw were really legit mainly. but yeah not cool for a Evangelist to have leaked this otherwise who else would have had it... its actually uploaded in many places now if you look around and im sure it now will just continue to spread.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=112869.0

24. er34

er34 Guest

Google for avast 8 beta leaked and you'll find some site with domain techdown.

The GUI is not Metro (Modern UI) but definitely inspired by it.
    And the new features that is has such as the software health and the other that provides reputation for the browser add-ons - I don't think this has something to do with the antivirus software (free version), this should be part of a security programs.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And what is avast! other than a security program? Everything we talk about here are anti-malware products, word "antivirus" is just a remaining thing from the past. A word and nothing else.

Keeping all plugins up to date is the first step to keep your system malware free. So i don't see anything wrong with that really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.