Avast 4 Home Edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Relemar, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

Hey guys, can you guys give me your thoughts on this AntiVirus program, like rate it out of 10. Give me your Pros and Cons and whatever you want.

Should I have Avast Home Edition or Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.xxxxx something I forget.

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I would suggest to go for Norton.
    More smooth and better detection rate

3. Relemar

It's an old version not the latest, will this affect the new viruses getting in or not?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well the old version ofnorton has some exploits that have been fixed in later versions. but to upgrade i think it costs money.
    so you might as well use avast instead
    lodore

5. Relemar

OKY THANKS. WHAT IS THE BEST FREE ANTIVIRUS? i just dont know, dont ask me to go to av-comparitivs.org i dont understand just tell me which is best free one

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i have answered u in another post as well.........go for avast.

7. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I would go with Avira

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you want to spend money, go with NOD32, KAV or AVIRA.
    For free, avast! Home is a great choise...

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

already answered this in a previous thread,

Avast

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

OVER 9000!!!! out of 10 for me :p

11. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

AOL AVS gives better protection than Avast in my opinion.

Prepares to get shot.... :D

12. the insider

the insider Registered Member

I agree 100 % with you !:D

13. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

I agree with Bluenile and the insider

posted by me in related thread:

I recently made the switch to AOL-AVS (from Avast) and have been very, very pleased. AVS has detected and deleted several "Bankfraud" trojan emails and just yesterday caught a new one that is circulating around from "Support Team Robot" with a subject line of "Virus Activity Detected". What surprised me the most (in a positive way) was that AVS caught it on my home PC but the same email got through my company's defenses.

14. zip

zip Registered Member

I've tried Avira, avast!, AVG, & AOL-AVS + some pay av's. Avast! is the best.

15. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Today, I just put aAvast on my moms PC. I think it is a very slick product, I like it. I did not care for the standard skin that comes with the program, but easily found one that I did like.

Question: Is there a way to turn off outgoing email scanning? It was slowing down the outgoing emails.

16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Left click on the system tray icon, select the mail provider, select customize, select SMTP tab, untick "scan outgoing mail".
    Doesn't slow anything down, here. Unless there's a huge attachment, it adds maybe a second or three.

17. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Does it normally take forever to scan with avast? I just installed yesterday, and ran a thorough scan (and picked up a trojan that trend micro missed) but the scan took over 4 hours, to cover about 100GB of data. Is that a normal amount of time?

I also noticed that it had silently quarantined 3 system files, kernel32.dll, winsock.dll, and wsock32.dll, none of which are infected? Is this something to do with one of avasts shields, or an FP that has been corrected by subsequent updates?
    Everything seems to be working as normal with the files quarantined, but a bit unsure as to why they were in the first place.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although I am not using it at this time, I have at various times. I did not find the scan took longer than most. Probably they took around 30-35 minutes.

I would suggest that you try to get an answer from the Avast forums.
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Overall, I think it is one of the better Avs, and especially for a freebie if you want Avast Home. When I am not sure what I want to use, I always go to Avast, and it has always run without any problems, including conflicts and infections.

Best,
    Jerry

19. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I also liked Avast when I had it installed. I've since tried Avira PE Classic, NOD32, and I'm now using the free 6 month trial of Avira Premium.

What I liked about Avast was the incoming and outgoing e-mail scanning, and the bootscan just before Windows startup. I don't know why the other vendors haven't incorporated that.

What made me switch were the AV-comparatives ratings showing that Avira, NOD32, Kaspersky and Norton seemed to be faster in updating their signatures, and scored better in malware detection.

Several top AV vendors occasionally offer their programs for free after rebate.
    In the last month, Kaspersky and Norton have had several offers in the newspapers and online. McAfee probably does, too. It may be tough on system resources, but the suite is still a great program and keeps the system clean.

As much as we seem to avoid McAfee and Norton because of their CPU loads, and numerous dll installs, remember that those sites are a major point of reference when one needs to manually clean their system. It's hard to find more detailed info about a trojan or virus than what's found on Symantec's site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.