Avast 4.6 vs Antivir 7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aussiesnow4, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aussiesnow4

aussiesnow4 Registered Member

Re: Antivir real-time monitoring

Hello,

As you know, Antivir recently released their version 7. I have been using Avast 4.6 and used antivir as an on demand scanner. However, after upgrading to antivr 7, it installed the antivir guard on my computer, and therefore has disabled my Avast resident protection. Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the difference is between the two. I have no idea if I should allow two antivirus programs to run at the same time or just delete antivir completely and go back to avast. I like avast alot, so i don't want to get rid of it.

Thanks alot.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I wouldn't run both resident.. If you're happy with Avast, then I'd remove AntiVir and run Avast alone for both purposes...

3. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I've used avast! as the only antivirus on my computer and ewido anti-malware as the backup on-demand scanner for trojans, adware, spyware, so for me there's no need for using other antivirus along with avast!.

4. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Bitdefender 8 should work ok with avast as an on demand scanner.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Problem with BD 8 Free as on-demand is it installs some resident stuff so that it winds up using 18mb of ram or so just to update itself. Might as well have a full blown resident scanner running if you're going to use that much ram for no reason. Kinda crazy. I suppose you could disable it from loading at startup somehow, set the service to manual or remove stuff from startup, whatever..

6. aussiesnow4

aussiesnow4 Registered Member

Thanks alot Kerodo. I did remove antivir. I did not like the idea of using two resident's running at once (i take it resident means running in the background live?). I am going to keep avast as is with all its featuers and try ewido with it. Does anyone know anything about it?

thanks.

7. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Hi aussie,

Correct.

I've been using Avast 4.6 Free & ewido full w/ guard, realtime protection for ~ 9 months. No problems with conflicts whatsoever.

Your mileage may very, but on my system, I don't experience any slowdowns. Both programs play nice together, running resident in the background.

HTH

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I use Avast Pro & ewido + kerio they work well together...

9. notageek

notageek Registered Member

My question is. Which is better, avast or antivir 7? Right now I' using Avast free and like it but is Antivir better at detecting?

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

They're both good and they'll both get the job done. Take your pick.. ;)

11. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Avast is better for the simple fact it updates fast and consistent, in the US AntiVir 7 free still has an update problem !

12. TradeMark

TradeMark Registered Member

But i belive that AntiVir have a better Heuristic Detection.

13. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

As it's already been stated, never run two on access A/V products at the same time. The difference between these two products that actually counts IMHO, is the fact that AntiVir simply is better at detecting malware accoridng to the respected AV-Comparatives site. Look at the polymorphic detection abilties in particular. AntiVir blows Avast away.

14. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

This is absolutely true....AntiVir has the best malware detection of the free AV programs....it has better malware detection than quite a few of the paid programs too!

15. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I recently bit the bullet and downloaded Antivir free to see what the differences were.

So far, I like the GUI. It looks almost modern compared to the old Windows 3 looking thing from Antivir 6. Also, and more important, it works flawlessly, even including small daily updates rather than the megabyte things I expected. And, I haven't had to wait until afternoon to get them. It seems to update at all times of the day without a problem. Overall, I like it.

I don't know that I won't go back to AVAST, which I like and trust, but this new Antivir 7 is pretty nice and it isn't heavy on resources.

16. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

The AV-Comparitives test is with AntiVir Premium, does AntiVir free have the same detection as Premium ?

17. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Yes...they have the exact same definition database and scanning engine. The only difference between the two is that premium has a POP3 scanner and detects adware/spyware.

18. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

premium is pretty cheap price compared to other av's

19. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

im curious. i dont currently have antivir on my system , however i tried the free v7 recently and found it a nice lite av to run on my system. I noticed in the advanced settings you can choose to have it scan for advanced malware/ spyware etc . does this not work .

20. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I tried the free v7 when it first came out and I don't remember it having an option to scan for adware/spyware...unless they changed the program. Anyway, only the premium version will have the adware/spyware detection.
    Can you post a screen shot?

21. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Avira Free 7 doesn't have adware/spyware detections but it has so-called "unwanted programes" detections feature, if all selected, I think it may cause some false positive (e.g. when uncommon packed files are found), IMHO.

I must say the new Avira Free 7 is excellent free antivirus software, extremely high overall detection rates that beats out several paid antivirus software, nice-professonal interface, good auto updates, etc. I don't notice any noticable differences in real-time performace between avast! home and Avira Free 7 on my machine.

Avira Free 7 is excellent free antivirus software indeed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  22. notageek

The reason I asked about which is better is because AV-Comparitives test gave Antivir a better percentage than Avast. The reason I like Avast out of the other free AV's is that Avast has a email scanner. I don't open attachments unless I know who they are from but you never know if that person that sent the email has a virus or not even if you know that person. I'm still a little on the fence on to which AV I want to use. I didn't notice Avast does update every other day or so. I'm not sure how often Antivir updates.

23. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I have Antivir set to check 4 times a day and sometimes it downloads new files all 4 times a day - so it updates very frequently and can be set to do so totally silent and invisible.

Preveously I was very concerned to have the e-mail scanner, but since I started using Defensewall and my emailclient is untrusted under DW I feel extremly well protected. If DW interests you - look at the new version with the new Rollback-function.

Free Antivir blends perfectly into my present protection set-up with DW as my "main man"!

Best Regards

24. notageek

Thanks, I don't need DefenseWall. I think I'll give Antivir a spin.

25. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Thanks TAP for the screen shot - AntiVirs (Avira) new GUI looks awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.