AV-Test Jan/Feb 2014 results are out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FleischmannTV, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Great Job

Avira
    Comodo
    Panda

The Usual's (Kaspersky ect.)

Thinking I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Avast! did great in AV-Comparatives, so I'm not too worried.

3. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I wonder why Kaspersky Endpoint Security was weaker in detection than Internet Security.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Here we go again :p :blink: :thumbd:

5. guest

guest Guest

6. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

It's % and not the number of samples, but yes, it is indeed weird.

7. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

IIRC somebody's said ZA uses the business version's engine before, so that explains why ZA has low detection rates in most tests. It may be outdated compared to the home version or made less "aggressive" and/or thorough to lower FPs and the system impact to adapt to the business environment.

Has also happened a few times before. Oversight or not, it doesn't reflect well on this test.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The business versions are usually the superior versions.

10. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Frequently, they are older, more stable versions.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

:rolleyes: Whatever the amount is would you be willing to accept a similar amount to zip it.

12. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I would like to commend ESET for their detection results. ESET is a rock solid, mature product with excellent detection and minimal impact on system performance. My experience with it is different than the performance results reported by AV-Test. My desktop computer runs noticeably better with ESET loaded than it does with any of the other products for which I currently have licenses (Kaspersky, BullGuard, Avira, Avast).

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

My experience is exactly the same. There was only WSA which was lighter on my system than ESET. I don't know how they test this aspect of AVs o_O

hqsec

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

AV-Test is the way to go :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

15. anon

anon Registered Member

So, the AV-T it's wrong.
    Is the AV-C wrong too?
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2013&month=10&sort=1

or AV-C was correct in May
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2013&month=5&sort=1&zoom=2
    and wrong in October....... :rolleyes:
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2013&month=10&sort=1

16. cnople

cnople Registered Member

Wow, Avast. I think I might switch to Avira or Panda now, after all these years.

17. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

To be fair, performance "tests" are almost always pointless no matter how they're done. They can sometimes give you an idea about the lightest or the heaviest products, but IMHO you never know exactly what different users do or what other software they have on their computer for their AV to get in the way.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  18. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Oh, I don't think the performance tests are wrong. They just don't match my experience. The testing organizations obviously have rigorous methodologies that they follow but they will never be able to match the mix of software and hardware that a specific user has. Therefore, their tests might be a good guide like Inside Out said, but every person should probably pay attention to performance on their own machines.

19. guest

guest Guest

If the performance tests are pointless and the protection test are manipulated, av-test is a complete scam.

20. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Avast is now mainly System Care software & antivirus in it is just a bonus. For a bonus antivirus those are impressive result.:D

21. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Well, avast! is now majority owned by two private equity firms. CVC and Summit Partners so you can make your own judgement on what their priorities are, protection or profits.

Google Tool Bar
    Chrome
    Dropbox
    Grimefighter
    SafePay
    Softronic
    Adverts in the paid version
    Crazy registration requirements of the free version -- Added

And yes, where is Evo-Gen and Dyna-Gen? Vaporware?

I think it's time for me to move on.

22. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Since most of the vendors put forward their full products,some with HIPS,sandboxes,etc.Why is it that Avast chose their basic,free AV,when it not unexpectedly failed in comparison?

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

To be fair, AVG is also owned by a bunch of private equity firms (and has been for a long time now). They seem to be consistent even in mediocrity and the free AVG is still a somewhat decent product. So we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on that IMO. However, I did recall reading somewhere that Avast valuing itself at $1 billion after getting that money injection is a bit of a red flag as it may indicate that Avast wants to shop itself around. Anyway, that's just speculation.

24. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Today I received an email from avast support wondering why they hadn't seen activity with my registered system(s), like updates and such. The email said they wanted to bring it to my attention just in case my systems were compromised, but that if I was no longer using avast they'd like to know why. Having been a previous long time user but then subsequently ditching avast with the release of version 6 with its myriad issues, I briefly returned to beta test version 9, right up until the final was released. I wonder how many people avast is contacting at this point because of a dwindling user base?

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Those are some good points Firecat. In my experience private equity firms like to flip the companies they invest in. Hopefully this will not happen with avast!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.