AV solution for church

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mjc, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjc

mjc Registered Member

Title says it all, looking for an inexpensive AV solution for a church.

AVG is an option, but I would like something a little better.

I know the pastor is not very willing to spend a lot (he'd prefer the free solution), so I am kind of stuck...

There are two other things that are tripping me up;

1. It needs to be light weight/footprint...it will be running on a Win95 system (this was a donated machine, so I know they aren't going to want to spend money on it)

2. It needs to be easy to use. I would rather not make the 13 mile trip 3 or four times a week to keep it running.

2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

the free scanners available are the following:

Avast4 >> www.avast.com
    AVG6 >> www.grisoft.com
    AntiVir >> http://www.free-av.com/index.html
    F-prot for DOS >> http://www.f-prot.com/download/getfpdosfree.html

- Avast4 is (in my opinion) is better than AVG6 but it uses a lot of resources.
    - AVG6 is so light but it is said that it misses some viruses (I am using it for more than a year and I am happy with it as it saved me from both Yaha.J and Yaha.M worms :D :D )
    - AnriVir is known of some false positives (I have a painful experience with it).
    - F-prot for DOS is very good and free but only as a DOS scanner.
    you may use AVG6 with F-prot for DOS as a backup scanner..
    :)

3. mjc

mjc Registered Member

AVG and Fprot was my orignal idea, but I was just wondering if anyone had any more ideas.

Thank-you.

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I think Avast upadtes more that AVG.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi mjc,

Here´s another thread that might interest you: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6790

Regards,

Pieter

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

that's correct . But it uses a lot of resources than AVG, we are talking about a donated win95 machine. :)

7. sig

sig Registered Member

Question just to clarify: is the pc going to be connected to the internet and used for email, surfing, etc? Or is it going to be a offline pc just for word processing, etc? The potential security issues would be a bit different if the machine never goes online.

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Well, if it's for a church, you might consider contacting the AV company and asking for a discount. Most offer educational and non-profit discounts which are usually 50% off.

Be nice to be able to load up a pro copy of NOD32, AVAST!, etc., for 20 bucks or so. :cool:

9. mjc

mjc Registered Member

I would say 90% WP and 10% email/surfing.

Ease of use is a major consideration, and also the pastor has stated this is a $0 PC, meaning he dosen't want to spend any money on it.

The Javacool programs were a given. I was just trying to see if anyone had any other ideas the the obvious. AVG and Sygate are what I settled on for now, no AT yet, still deciding that one.

10. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Why not use the free AVG, and once a week or so scan with the free PC cillin Housecall system from www.trendmicro.com to do a thorough back up scan just in case? Trendmicro found a worm in my PC that Norton andMc Afee missed. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.