AV software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by weezyrider, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezyrider

weezyrider Registered Member

Having a rough time finding answers. Need to know which, if any, AV software does NOT require IE. I have McAfee5.0 and go get the DAT files when I want them. I have a dual-boot pc and the internet connection is on the W98 HD. When I bought 98, I had IE disabled as I prefer Opera. Outlook is also gone. Use Eudora and mailwasher. Also have stuff configured so that I have to connect first before I use email or browser. (It's a pain, but it works)I will not install IE just to use a product, and don't like automatic updates as I also don't have MS Office, Exchange or most of the programs the virus writers hit. I have asked a few of the companies about IE being required and they don't answer. Anyone around here have some advice?
    Thanks o_O

2. root

root Registered Member

KAV, Nod32, DrWeb, F-Secure, etc. do not use IE.
    I think McAfee is the only one that does require IE, possibly NAV, but I don't remember that.

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

No NAV doesn´t need IE for updates, you can even update via FTP if you know how ;)

Regards,

Pieter

4. weezyrider

Thanks, you are the first people who didn't act like I was nuts because I do things my way. I did have NAV at one time, but it decided that my ArtZ11 tablet and S3 Trio card were virii and buggered them. We have it at work and it's a pest with the updates but at least it asks. I prefer to get the dat files when I need them. I sometimes don't bother for LookOut and Exchange as I don't have them. Will check out your Nod32 group. If you know of any more AV software that doesn't use IE, would appreciate it. :) :)

5. root

root Registered Member

As far as I know, McAfee is the only one that does use IE.
    You have a wide range to choose from.
    My 2 cents - Nod32, AVP 3.5 Swiss version, DrWeb, F-Secure, are all good AVs.
    Technodrome and Wizard are good ones to listen to when your talking AVs.

6. weezyrider

Nobody seems to have touched on automatic updates. I don't want them. I'd rather go to the site and download because then I'm sure of where I'm getting stuff from. Maybe it's because I'm ornery or lucky, I've only seen 1 virus email in 5 years. It was a friend, and MailWasher flagged it! (KLEZ).

I asked various forums and AV software makers years ago what would happen if I got a virus that couldn't execute. No one has ever answered me. I think they run in the background trying to find Outlook and keep running because they can't! So any AV will have to eradicate them.

Any AV I get will have to get along w/Opera, Adobe, Corel, Eudora and also be able to be told that certain extensions are OK. I download a lot of embroidery machine files that have strange proprietary extensions.
    Also thinking of buying Pest Patrol as some marketers are getting really aggressive. So it will have to get along with that, too. Plus leave my extras alone. Have a PDA, Extigy soundblaster and digital camera.

Looked at the NOD32, but it seems to be still in beta.
    Was looking at Panda and RAV but some of the websites don't seem to have much info. The McAfee I have is good until they decide not to support the 4. whatever engine that came w/5.0, so I think I have some time to investigate. BTW - Norton does require IE. Check their website for requirements.
    Thanks

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

It does say so, ( http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/sys_req.html ) but I wonder why? o_O

The way to update using ftp as described here can easily be adapted for other NAV versions.
    And I never experienced any problems downloading the Intelligent Updates from here: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download/us-files/20030114-009-i32.exe while using Opera.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.