AV + Malware protection combo question.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nanoflow, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanoflow

Nanoflow Registered Member

Hey Wilders Security Forums,

I've got a question, I'm using the following combination for my primary pc right now.

* Avast Free v.7
    * Malwarebytes +pro
    * MS-EMET
    * Google chrome + script blocking

On chrome I usually only frequent only a dozen website or so, in this case would you say it's safe to move back to MSE? I've been reading few reviews for MSE and it makes me a bit nervous.. :doubt:

I do know that some of the software listed isn't exactly AV related but helps out with my general security. So what do you guys think?

2. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Are you wanting to stop using Avast and switch to MSE? If so, is there a reason why you want to switch? I would say that if the twelve web sites you tend to visit are safe ones, then you have rock solid protection with your listed software. If you are a safe browser, then you would probably be fine with Avast or MSE, especially if you are running MBAM Pro alongside them. You might want to run an adblocking extension in Chrome as well.

3. Nanoflow

It was out of curiosity really, I do feel that Avast bogs down my system a bit during heavy game play and it would be convenient to move towards less resource intensive AV solution. But it is more of a nit pick problem than a serious one.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No game mode in Avast?

5. Nanoflow

Well there is one for Avast but it's more of prevent pop-ups during full screen application. I could add my steam library to the exclusion list I suppose but I just don't like white-listing anything with the AV. Maybe it's just my paranoia talking :D

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well Paranoids don't use MSE?;)

7. Nanoflow

Yea, more I talk about it here I feel like it's better to just stick with Avast, thanks guys. :)

Stay Cool :cool:

8. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Or you could switch to a free cloud AV like Panda Cloud, and have the protection of Avast! With no high memory usage.

9. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

I would stick with Avast 7. ____> 5.0 is better then 2.5

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2012/

MSE is SO SO over rated.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  10. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

well,as far as I know Avast has script shield itself
    your combination is good,but it may be too much for a home user.
    I have a suggestion which may be lighter than yours.I m using it and it works well:

1-MSE *
    2-Bitdefender traffic light
    http://trafficlight.bitdefender.com/
    3-Zemana AntiLogger Free
    http://www.zemana.com/product/antilogger-free/overview/

* (you can use AVG Free 2013 instead,but if so,this is my advice:do not install security toolbar,surfshield,gadget,email protection....but identity protection can be usefull)

I know this combo may be weaker than yours,but I think it s enough for ordinary usage of the system.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You have a really good, simple setup there. You know you can always turn off the shields in Avast until you're done playing games, right? I used to do that playing MMOs all the time. MSE, while not "bad", isn't that "good" either. It's your system and you need to do what you think is best for your situation simply because we don't use your system and can't see everything you can. In my opinion, I'd stay with Avast or, if you're wanting to freshen things up (I do this sometimes), trial another well-tested vendor.

12. zip

zip Registered Member

See my sig.for my combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.