AV-Comparatives Polymorphic detection test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I was looking through the Februrary 2007 comparative again, and I found something strange in the Polymorphic detection test. I am hoping that Andreas can help me in understanding this somewhat.

My doubt lies with the detection rates of TrustPort Workstation edition on the Polymorphic test set. TrustPort uses the Norman, BitDefender, and AVG+Ewido engines, but we'll leave Ewido out of this because I do not think Ewido detects polymorphic viruses. :)

Now, here are the peculiarities I notice:

1) W32/Zelly.A - TrustPort detects 95.2% according to the report. Norman detects 0%, BitDefender detects 0%. However, AVG detects 95.0%. I am wondering where this 0.2% change comes from, because neither BitDefender nor Norman detect any strain of Zelly. o_O

2) W32/Insane.A - Here, TrustPort detects 65.7%. BitDefender detects 65.6%, Norman detects 58.1%, and AVG detects 75.2%. Given that TrustPort uses all three engines, the expected result was that TrustPort should have been better than AVG. But it remains only slightly ahead of BD. Any idea of why this should be? o_O

I hope IBK can shed some light on this issue. :doubt:

P.S. I see that AV-comparatives site has been updated with a new article on AV testing sites. Very nice! ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

if i remember fine it was:
    1) due rounding percentages but also
    2) because of last minute updates and slightly delay of update release between the various vendors (original vendors - third party vendor updates).
    Therefore Trustport detected a bit lesser than the original engines.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Thanks for that. So the 95.2% acquired by TrustPort for Zelly.A (in relation to AVG's 95.0%) is due to rounding percentages?

Also, how did the vendors know the exact date and time of your testing in order to release a last-minute update that covered this malware? I mean, it is understandable if they release it say 1 day earlier, but 1 day is more than enough time for TrustPort to receive the updates :doubt:

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

they do not know exactly when.
    they get updated at the same moment.

5. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.