AV-Comparatives - File Detection Test - March 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SweX, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spywar

spywar Registered Member

It has good detection but very very bad proactiv protection (I'm talking about V5). I don't use a signature based scanner program I don't really care since every seconds now a new threat is online ...

2. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Yes, also on the RWA we should consider FileRepMalware (cloud based signatures that come on dynamic execution) and of course AutoSandbox's detection ...

3. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Thanks but please point me to the article/source?

4. oliverjia

Re: Boy Has Norton Dropped down

signature based Av is still the main stream and the HIPS/behavior blocker is not reliable at current stage. If norton signature misses a virus, SONAR/File insight may also miss it. I would trust more on signature based detection, than relying on behavior blocker. The foundation/basis of an AV program is still based on signature/characteristic codes detection, not on behavior blocker.
    If Norton scored so bad in signature file detection, I doubt how good SONAR/File insight will be.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. spywar

spywar Registered Member

So test it then you won't say that .. And Insight is not a behavior component it's a cloud based FileRep and this works very well just do test it yourself ...

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Read it as 2 engines...Kaspersky and Bitdefender.
    ;)

8. fax

fax Registered Member

This happened long time ago. Issues related to the ich/sw cache technology was solved two kav version ago :)

9. anon

anon Registered Member

Fixed:

10. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

It is for some, it isn't for others. I'd say stay away from it.

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I advise to read the report before making claims:

12. oliverjia

I did tested several very new open-source software files. Every time File Insight gave a warning. Come on, these are completely legitimate files, they are just so new that only very few Norton users downloaded it, sometime I might be the first one downloaded it. So this File-insight is not as effective as we might think. I was fed up with these blinding warnings.
    Everyday, many new legitimate exe files are released, there is no way Norton can track them quickly and identify them in File Insight. So what is the point doing this anyway?
    BTW, as BoerenkoolMetWorst pointed out, the File detection test was done with active internet connection. Norton scored very poorly. This fact indicates that Norton File Insight is basically useless.:thumbd: :thumbd:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  13. oliverjia

They lost my trust forever. I'd rather use F-Secure or BD, but I will never use Kaspersky anymore.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

All these tests are irrelevant for consumers. File detection tests are only relevant for mail and file servers.

Only thing that counts these days are real-world tests, because pretty much all products offer full protection when files get actually executed.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Of course, free to do it. Just wanted to make clear that your decision is not based on a valid technical issue, just a personal decision, as this "problem" has been resolved more than 2 years ago. ;)

16. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

17. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

It is free, and I believe they use their own engine (at least I've seen no indication otherwise).

As for how "light" it is, some people worry about memory consumption, and some worry about how responsive their PC "feels" when running. FortiClient is an enterprise solution, and it runs a number of processes for things most home users won't need (things like a VPN client). Those "extras" use memory but essentially no CPU cycles. Right now (on my W7 64 bit machine) I see 10 processes running, using a total of about 100 MB (half of that is the fmon.exe process, their real-time AV monitor). My PC has plenty of RAM, so that isn't an issue for me, but I know some people have limited RAM, so each user needs to decide for him/herself. As for how responsive my PC "feels", I sense no slowdown from this AV compared to any other I've tried.

On a separate note, in an XP virtual machine, I tried to shut down FortiClient from inside the Windows Task Manager, to see if it had any sort of self protection. I went down the list, ending each of its processes. Instantly each one restarted. No alarms, no alerts, just an almost instantaneous restart of whichever process I had just manually ended. That's one of the things I like about this client - it's quiet and just takes care of business. It only lets you know what you really need to know, if something comes up that requires your attention.

Good stuff. It's now what I recommend for non-technical friends and family members who want something simple, effective, and no-maintenance (not even registration). The latest test results help support that recommendation.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Whilst Webroot isn't included in this test, I understand AV-C is working with them to do a separate test due to how their product works. AV-C agreed to move them out of the main tests.

19. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thanks for the information.:thumb:

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I run two machines one has ESET & the other F Secure, looks like I need to make both F secure. I was really hoping ESET v6 would improve...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It has improved. Isn't there a separate product test on Av-Comparatives for V6? Besides I agree with RejZoR's post #89.

22. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I feel like reading a post from 1995. Lol, lol, lol.

2013 = Signatures almost useless, whitelisting our only hope.

23. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Norton File Insight useless ? OK, I stop talking with an idiot, yes an idiot ...
    Please learn things instead of saying things like that (you made me mad bro).

24. spywar

spywar Registered Member

This is what I wanted to explain him but he seems to hate Norton for whatever reasons and doesn't want to accept that Norton beats A LOTS OF these AVs on 0 day protection... (which is the most important part).

25. fax

fax Registered Member

Not surprising given his pre-judgement also on Kaspersky products. BD for President! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.