AV-C, AV-Test, VB Testing Methodology

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Can someone give me the quick version on their testing methodologies? Which tester is the most real-world? I quickly checked AV-Test's and theirs seemed the most real-world for on-demand (repair), rather than just scanning a folder containing malware.

2. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I don't want to go into details of their testing procedures and stuff, but for me, it's AV-C first always.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Very scientific approach! :D

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

All 3 are reliable, but for me it's AV-C first, then VB/RAP and lastly AV-test. I have enough faith in AV-C that I believe a product rated "Standard" in AV-C is still good enough to protect me in all but the most extreme of cases.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Standard is good enough. I saw such an opinion stated some time ago by an expert in the field who posts here.

6. Firecat

My opinion was actually based on what I observed in the real world for ordinary/extraordinary surfing habits. Most of the time even the "Standard" rated products do a good job of protection. It's nice to hear an expert agrees :)

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Possibly like others here, I’m biased toward AV-C.

The proprietor has posted here on his methods and ways for many years.

For those who have been around here long enough, we’ve watched him grow from being virtually a ‘garage tester’ to producing a very professional and rigorous product.

He’s more careful about what he posts now (he used to give us more of an inside look at things), but it’s always good to hear what he has to say.

-ftp

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

AV-C seems like the only one that carea about updating their procedures or testing software in different ways instead of relying solely on Scanning/On Demand tests etc.

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Is a standard rating also based on to many False positive's,another words the detection may be as strong as advanced but to many legitimate files get flagged and in turn lowers its overall rating or am I wrong.

10. Firecat

Yes, FPs can reduce the rating of a product in AV-C, but what I was saying is any product that passes the testing, irrespective of FPs, is generally very good in the real world. So say a product has had less FPs and scores 93% on the detection rate, it will (in my experience) still be very good in the real world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.