Autochk program not found

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kiwi-wombat, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwi-wombat

kiwi-wombat Registered Member

I have seen a couple of similar posts but haven't found an answer.

I have an 80GB SATA drive partitioned into two NTFS partitions. I use Partition Magic to do the partitioning (only because I bought this before I found Acronis software)

Partition 1 is C: drive - XP Home.
    Partition 2 contains a duplicate of C: (to be able to test new programs and drivers etc.). The duplicate is created by restoring a backup to the unallocated partition.

Partition 2 becomes G: drive (I have a data drive with 3 partitions D, E & F) and if I make it visible and use XP's own boot.ini file to switch between the partitions, everything works fine.

However I don't want the two partitions visible. I could go into detail if you really want, but essentially if the two drives see each other, other software clashes. So I make partition 2 hidden, remove the drive letter and alter the boot.ini file so that it thinks that there is only one drive.

Now if I use a 3rd party boot program (in this case PQ boot) it makes partition 2 active and hides partition 1. Partition 2 is now effectively C: drive.

This works for a while but if I then wipe the 2nd partition and install a new copy, when the reboot takes place I get an error message "autochk program not found, Skipping Auto Check". It reboots and tries again always with the same result. It loops contiuously until I use a rescue disk to make partition 1 active. Using FSISK I know the 2nd partition is active but I think it is seeing the first partition.

Does anyone have an answer

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kiwi-wombat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

According to your post the problem is related to PowerQuest boot manager, we recommend you to contact PQ Support Team in order to resolve the issue.

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

3. kiwi-wombat

kiwi-wombat Registered Member

I tried them first and they said it was a Windows driver problem and to contact Microsoft.

I accept that it isn't a Acronis issue but the reason for posting it here is to see if any other users had come across it?

What other system do users utilise if they want to swap drives like this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.