Authenticating files over and over again

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by rottenbanana, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rottenbanana

rottenbanana Registered Member

I just re-installed XP, and downloaded PrevX 3.0.5.10, installed it with my license and let it run with default settings.

Every time i reboot, and launch certain apps PrevX pops up that little notification window saying it's authenticating files related to the program. It used to do this before only for new and unknown applications.

Basically every time i launch, say, TQVault (item storage app for a game) PrevX delays the startup by authenticating all .dll files TQVault uses. Same goes for the executable file of NewsLeecher, a binary newsgroup reader. It doesn't do it again until i reboot, at which point PrevX seems to forget it already scanned these files.

If i understood correctly, PrevX checks a new and unknown file for odd behaviour and against the cloud (?) and after declaring it good, it doesn't scan it again unless the file changes. Do i have to lower the heuristic settings or something, is PrevX tuned to be more sensitive and aggressive with this new version than before? As said above, all PrevX settings are on default.

2. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, sometimes it takes ages to scan files on fly. In my case the winner is VLC, the first Prevx scan lasted almost minutes to check all .dll files and let VLC eventually start. However once scanned the next starts were already quick as usually. Do you have any cleaning application like CCleaner? If so, it might be that a temp file which contains a list of already scanned files is deleted and hence the next scan after boot up needs to compare all files within cloud. Just my thought, anyhow Joe could explain better.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That is correct, however, I suspect the files are not being trusted fast enough. Could you please click Tools > Save Scan Results and send the scan log to report@prevxresearch.com? I'll check to see if there is some reason why the files are still being rechecked.

Thanks! :)

4. rottenbanana

rottenbanana Registered Member

Log sent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.