Attitude problems at McAfee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by albounds, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albounds

albounds Registered Member

The following is a (verbatim) response from a McAfee representative addressing usability complaints. The usability problem? Whenever a new I.E. window is opened using Right Click/"Open in New Window" a warning message pops up concerning changes to the system registry. It’s very annoying and cannot be turned off without turning off other necessary warnings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone

The popups you are seeing mean that SystemGuard is doing its job. A very common problem with adware/spyware programs are that they make changes to your computer's registry which then adversely affect your computer. Anytime a change is made to the registry, as long as you have SystemGuard set to give you an alert, you will see these popups. This allows you the option of approving or not these changes. This can save you a lot of problems if they are adware/spyware related.

This is not an error, this is not problem, nor is it being caused by a conflict. Something about the way that you are opening up IE is making a change to your computer's registry and SystemGuard is merely doing it's job by alerting you to this fact. Accordingly, there will not be any "patch" or "fix" to correct something that is NOT broken.

2. 337

337 Registered Member

Yea, it is all us stupid end users that are the problem... And if you don't believe it just ask them!!! :rolleyes:

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It's not just McAfee, it seems to be all big business they are just to big to even notice the enduser because we don't know anything anyway. At least that is the impression I get from them.:doubt:

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

As the company and the quality of the clients grows bigger and stronger, it becomes more and more difficult to cater to the needs of all. Unfortunately, the home users are most likely to get the dirty side of the boot since corporates bring in more $$$.....

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Indeed, but that's what the extra $$ are for: hiring people, investment,...
    If they can't handle it, they're not efficient.

Of course talking is easy:p

6. blazr63

blazr63 Registered Member

Providing support is a financial loss for companies. This is why support reps are ill trained, low paid and often outsourced. The last few times I've bothered sending emails to software companies, my response was a cut and paste from an irrelevant document.

7. 337

337 Registered Member

Sounds like a boycott is far overdue!! :mad:

8. Firecat

IMO, something much more than a boycott will be needed. Though it may just be my bad temper.

9. 337

337 Registered Member

Easy now!! LOL!! :D

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

"Something about the way that you are opening up IE is making a change to your computer's registry and SystemGuard is merely doing it's job by alerting you to this fact."

What does he mean by 'something about the way'? Sounds like a lame excuse. Whats next? SystemGuard will alert me when I delete some file because the action is suspicious?

11. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I've noticed a big decline in Mcafee's processing of malware submissions over the past few months, they used to send a detailed analysis of what has been submitted and details that detection would be added. Now, they occasionally send a rather abrubt response about 'guidelines for submission' saying they may consider the file for inclusion in future updates, but most of the time they just don't add what they are sent anymore and never reply, no wonder their detection has slipped so much on av-comparatives.

Londonbeat

12. Firecat

Yep, I don't know whats happened to them. My files always used to be sent for processing to senior analysts, but now I just don't get much of a response at all. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.