Attempted restore results in "Corrupt image"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dennis-98115, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis-98115

dennis-98115 Registered Member

This has been happening very consistently since version 8 of Acronis True Image. I searched the forum threads for this before creating a new thread and didn't really find anything.

First off, it happens on any computer I've tried to restore it on, and it happens with any image I've created on any media (external disk, second partition, or CD).

It only seems to happen, however, when the image meets the following criteria:

• the image was created in the Windows version of the UI, not the free-standing boot version
    • the image is of the primary (i.e., bootable) partition
    The restore proceeds about 2/3 of the way to the end and then a dialog box pops up with "(X) Image corrupt," no additional explanation.

The problem does not seem to occur if the backup of the primary partition is done from the freestanding True Image boot version.

I believe that this has something to do with the fact that the Windows version of the UI is unable to correctly backup all of the data from the "live" partition -- i.e., the one that Windows is running from.

I haven't been able to find anything in the online or webpages documentation that would appear to restrict backing up the live primary partition from the Windows UI, however, so perhaps this conjecture is bogus.

- Dennis

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have tested all the builds of True image since Version 8 and I have never had the problem to which you refer. I always backup when still booted in Windows both to an internal HD and to a USB HD. All my images are of the whole of my main bootable HD.
    So as you say and from where I am sitting yes,I would say your conjecture is not generally applicable and in that sense is bogus.
    With which version and build are you currently having this problem?

3. dennis-98115

Thanks for the reply, Xpilot.

This has happened on my laptop, my home computer, and my office computer. The error is always the same, and consistently with any image file created while the Windows UI was running to create the backup image, but never when the free-standing UI was used.

The build I am currently using is version 9.0, build 2302, but it happened with earlier builds as well.

When I said "bogus" I didn't mean that I was imagining the error, but that perhaps the Windows UI wasn't the explanation for the error. The error, however, is very solid (although a little too expensive to reproduce comfortably, because if it fails I have to reinstall Windows and all my applications from scratch).

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Build 2302 is way, way out of date. Update to 3633 and see if you have the problem.

If you do, then there likely is something running that is upsetting the TI "snapshot" technology. You could try and disable running processes etc to try and find it. Are you running any database programs while TI is running?

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Well in Acronis terms the build that you are using is very "passe" I suggest that you uninstall build 2302 and install the latest 3633.
    A fail safe testing method is to image your main drive to external media, the simplest being a USB HD, then withdraw your good drive and replace it with a spare one. Then restore and reboot.
    I don't think it is of much value to try and trace the cause of your problem with the old build that you have been using.

6. dennis-98115

Yes, it's out of date, but build 3633's update is the first notification of a new image that I've received for quite a while. I intend to install this tonight.

Seriously, you think there's something running on three different computers that's affecting every image created? That seems incredible to me (the only thing they have in common is that all three use Windows XP Pro with SP 2, and are patched up to date). (Incidentally, those are three separate valid paid-for licenses.)

I don't have any database applications running. My process is to reboot as administrator, not start any applications, and run the Windows UI from the clean boot. Now, of course, I don't do that anymore since I haven't been able to rely on the image.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention this, but the "check image after backup" option does not report an error. The error only occurs when I actually try to restore the image. I wonder if I can try to reproduce this in a "virtual machine" and not risk my production environment? As I said, it's very expensive for me to test this if it fails.

-- Dennis

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It should work and my first guess is that it is the version. TI 9 does work with XP Pro SP2 with all the patches.

Having it fail because of a conflict on 3 machines isn't totally off the wall since a lot of people install the same apps and if there is a problematic one, it will be on all the machines.

You say you can create a good image using the standalone CD version. If you do that then you should be able to restore OK if the new version fails. I don't know about virtual machine usage.

Note that TI Home doesn't support dynamic disks if that is an issue.

Let us know your results!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please do as seekforever and Xpilot have suggested, i.e. download and install the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3633.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then it is most likely related to some third-party software installed on all your computers. This could be any application which requires an "exclusive" access to the hard drive such as any other backup software, anti-virus\anti-spyware applications, partitioning\disk managing software, etc. We therefore recommend that you try temporarily disabling or even uninstalling this sort of software to eliminate the possibility of it affecting the resulting image archive.

If that does not help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post for all your computers;

- Rename the files collected to report_laptop.txt, report_home.txt, report_office.txt and sysinfo_laptop.NFO, sysinfo_home.NFO, sysinfo_office.NFO accordingly;

- Can you confirm that the problem appears only when you create an image using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from under Windows?

- Can you confirm that the problem appears only when you create an image of a system partition?

- Can the image archive having the issue be successfully validated both when the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computers are booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home?

- What types of media did you use to store the image?

- Does the problem appears with all types of media you used to store the image?

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

P.S. Yes, you can test Acronis True Image 9.0 Home on a virtual machine. It supports VMware Workstation, MS Virtual PC 2005 and Parallels Workstation.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: May 29, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.