ATI not compressing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by robin14, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robin14

robin14 Registered Member

I've recently installed Acronis True Image v7.0 (Build 572) but i'm having problems compressing.

I've installed a fresh version of Windows XP on a partition but when I compress using the 'High' method very little compression occurs when the image is made. I've tried using the 'Normal' method of compression but the same thing happens (just slightly larger).

ATI is installed on my C drive (FAT 32) (Windows XP) and my E drive that i want to image is on NTFS. Should this matter? The E drive partition is 7.82GB. The fresh Windows XP installation is 2.89GB. When the image is made it is approx 2.4GB. The approximated size at the 'Compression Level' stage is 1.476GB.

I have no other data on the E drive, just a newly installed Windows XP.

Why isn't it compressing? When i use Powequest Drive Image 2002 it compresses it to 644MB. Any suggestions?

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Something is very, very strange. TI and Drive Image are usually both able to compress to about 55% of the original size with some advantage going to Drive Image. Your figure for Drive Image seems at first glance to be impossible and your figure for TI seems unlikely.

3. robin14

I've just tried it again and the same thing happens in both TI and Drive Image.

The E partition consists of 3 folders. Highlighting the 3 folders and checking its properties shows its 1.05GB. When selecting the hidden and protected files as well it is 2.93GB.

Drive Image reduces it to 645MB and TI reduces it 2.493GB. Both doesn't seem possible. This is using the highest compression.

Arrrhhhhhhhh......

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

It's a long shot, but have you scanned your partition for errors? If the filesystem isn't clean, TrueImage will back up every sector of the partition regardless of whether it contains valid data or not.

5. robin14

Just checked it now and everything seems fine. No errors or viruses

6. beenthereb4

You had better look carefully to see what partitions are selected when you image in TI. You may actually be imaging more than one. (Another wild guess)

7. robin14

No luck again. Im only selecting the desired partition.

Thanks for all your suggestions btw

8. wdormann

Any reason you're not using the latest version?

And this 644MB DriveImage archive... You have verified that it restores the full 2.89GB of stored files and that all are valid?

9. robin14

i've just installed the latest version of TI and no luck - the same thing happens.

Drive Image seems to be restoring all the data.

10. wdormann

Then stick with DriveImage. Any program that achieves a 450% compression ratio must be good! :D

11. beenthereb4

................. and be careful to never lose that copy of DriveImage because it may just be enchanted!

12. f123

f123 Guest

It is possible that you may have a huge swap file. I don't believe DI will copy blank space in the swap file. You will normally achieve a 55 to 65% compression of the original data if you select HIGH compression mode.

F.

13. robin14

I've just checked the images that ive made using ATI and found that they all have errors!

I used TrueImage 6.0 Check Image Program ('CheckImage.exe')

It says 'Open error 332 (Image corrupted)'. What does it mean?

14. robin14

However, using the built in Check Image it was successfull 'The image archive was successfully verified'.

Whats happening?

15. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, robin14

It is probably because Ti Build 6 CheckImage.exe [which was an add on] can not read a Ti Build 7 Image correctly.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.