Armadillo ??

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Rainwalker, Jun 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

OK....short and I hope to the point:
    About a year ago I bought a new HP
    Loaded an AV ( NOD ? )
    Downloaded all MS updates
    Downloaded BoClean
    Download AdAware
    A couple of days later things began to get wierd
    Don't remember all the details but things were quickly becoming stranger and before long ... by-by recycle bin
    At this point I felt I had to do the unthinkable......
    Yes, I called a tech at Hp :eek:
    Spent a long time with him and we had no LUCK locating Recylce Bin
    THEN he tells me that before I went to MS update site I should have gone to HP update site as there was a problem with my batch of pre-installed XP oss and the HP patch needed to be installed before the MS updates. He felt this was at the heart of the problem.
    Good grief, how was I suppossed to know this o_O. Of course I then had to do next to the worst thing imaginable....... re-install Windows; only to discover that the patches I got from MS where still with me, so could not get HP patch first. Now, I know your thinking what does this have to do with BoClean. MAYBE nothing but one of the strange things that went on aside from a very twichy cursor was an insulting "gobble gobble gobble'. Yeah well, I do have a sence of humor and I did smile ( as maybe you are now ) as my blood pressure climbed to previously unknown levels,
    but I sure would have liked to have met that clown. So, anywhy, I felt back then that BoClean should have caught the RAT but now as I think more about it, maybe the computer was so compromised that it was not possible and I sincerely offer up my very deepest apology to those who might be deserving of it :doubt:.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Terrible story, sounds like a coincidence of bad circumtances. One would almost wish HP had a "call home" for warning messages or live updates, warnings, while this is exactly against which we are fighting.
    A registration with email / newsletters would not be bad.
    It might have been the MS patches on a machine that needed HP patches first. HP coul have asked MS to put a warning on their site first (little chance, never know..)
    As the destructive matter was so urgent HP should have done anything possible to reach and warn their customers.
    XP... didn't that tech advice to go to a former restore point or was that not possible?

Hope after all bad experiences your system is running all ok now.

3. Rainwalker

Hello Jooske,
    Restore not possible. Could not go back to time before MS updates. Aside from that bloody dotted line around My Documents showing up momentarly at boot up, as mentioned above, everything is fine on THIS system. :)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Do you mean the red dotted line around the name "My documents" under that icon?
    I have the My computer as first icon and if i remember well it remembers the last used icon and displays that as selected that way. If you run with your tab over the icons it will start there.
    If you don't want it red, you might be able to configure other colors for the icon titles in the screen configurations from the windows desktop > properties.

5. Rainwalker

No..... read back along this thread. It is a dotted line surrounding the icon and colorless (white). It just showed up one day. I dumped a number of unneeded files from the folder yesterday and it stopped showing up until I download a program and bingo...it was back. May have been a coincidence. o_O

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

small screenshot available?

7. Rainwalker

Nope.... it is only there for about four seconds during boot up. The spacing and size of dots are the same size and spacing as these > ........... and they completely enclose icon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.